★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mmorpg?

10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Mmorpg?

Yeah so is it just me or is there anyone else thinking that there NEEDS to be an MMORPG for the iphone/touch? I mean it would be like a perfect fit with the capabilities of the iphone/touch! Anyone else agree?

I know Parallel Kingdom is an MMORPG but don't you have to physically move for your character to move in the game? What if it is like snowing outside or something? XD

Last edited by tmock90; 10-14-2008 at 10:10 PM.
12-25-2008, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmock90 View Post
Yeah so is it just me or is there anyone else thinking that there NEEDS to be an MMORPG for the iphone/touch? I mean it would be like a perfect fit with the capabilities of the iphone/touch! Anyone else agree?

I know Parallel Kingdom is an MMORPG but don't you have to physically move for your character to move in the game? What if it is like snowing outside or something? XD
Rather than make a new thread, I'll use this thread...

I wish the iPhone would get a MMORPG, even Ragnarok Online would do.

MMO's are becoming more and more popular thanks to World of Warcraft. And the iPhone is the only portable system that is able to run a MMORPG (has a huge market and it's powerful enough)... hopefully it won't have monthly fees.

12-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Quote:

you dont have to move physically to move your character, it just uses your location, to give you a satalite/map to play on, so you can use your house as a staging point to attack the monsters and wolves and all that

i dont really care for the game, but at least it is a start
and a mmorpg would be awesome, if done correctly
12-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Network latency is the biggest issue in anything requiring realtime movement. Even on computer based MMORPG's connected to a remote server, the client (what's running on your PC) needs to extrapolate object movements because network latencies don't allow you to get the data from the server quickly enough. This is the reason you'll see things like someone or something keep moving against a wall or off in the wrong direction and then pop back into position when the client gets the "correct" position from the server.

If the MMORPG were strictly WiFi based, you could theoretically get away with similar latencies as you would on a PC, and actually have something playable. Carrier data connections on the other hand have latencies that are an order of magnitude higher making this a very difficult problem to solve. If the MMORPG is not real-time then this is not a problem, but if you want to play a game like WoW over 3G it ain't happening.

Manta AppShopper Links:
Chalkboard Stunts, AppSniper, Cubes, Virus, Cubix
12-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
ultima fooking online please

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
12-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Quote:
What if it is like snowing outside or something? XD
Then its an ADVENTURE! =P

I've been wanting to see an online game for sometime now.

Maybe nothing like WoW or anything since the iphone prolly couldn't handle all that it would take to run such a game...yet.

But maybe something as simple as a war strategy game like "travian" (www.travian.com).

It has simple graphics, great strategic gameplay, the world plays on wether your online or not, form alliances, go to war and can be very addicting.

You CAN play travian through safari right now as a web browser game but I'd like to see a bonafide app for the game itself.

Anyways, I've always loved mmorpg's since playing ever'crack' years and years ago and I agree the iphone seems a great platform, ya know, since MOST of the time your connected in some way.

Gamecenter: dub.D.dub
12-25-2008, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce25r624 View Post
ultima fooking online please
This, elevenbillion times this.
Unfortunately it won't happen, Ultima Online as a retail brand is mostly DEAD, and a rerelease even on iPhone wouldn't hold any real commercial value towards the more "casual" crowd who perhaps never head MMO games existed before WoW.

Tibia, on the other hand is more likely, I guess it had a java client for ages.
12-25-2008, 02:18 PM
There's no reason why it can't be done, tibia me (mobile edition) has been out on symbian phones for ages. Also, what ever happened to graal zone?
12-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It would be fun, but mmorpgs are addictive and your battery wouldnt last long enough with wifi on and a game running :'(
12-25-2008, 02:39 PM
With the majority of the iPhone game customers unwilling to pay over $0.99 for a game as a single purchase, I'm skeptical over the percentage of people willing to fork out a monthly fee.

In other words, while it's technically feasible to make a turn-based MMO for the iPhone, there's most likely very little business reality in making such a venture happen.

A web-based game that can either be accessed through iPhone's Safari or through a custom client might be feasible. So Travian it is.