★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Loot Wars

10-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Loot Wars

Hey guys,

New member here, but I've been using the site for a while for great info on games for my touch. Has anyone tried Loot Wars yet? I'm pretty sure it's only just gone up, and obviously there are no reviews yet, but it looks like the perfect game for the type of RPG player I am (horde cool stuff, and gain achievements etc). I think I'm gonna grab it, but I was just wondering if anyone had already taken the plunge yet.

Thanks
10-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I played for a little bit and I will definitely recommend it. It's surprisingly fun.

I really love Reign of Swords, but I get tired of watching animations and having to spend so much time in battles. This game definitely fixes that. Everything happens very fast. You can pick it up, kick someone's @$$ and get back to work in no time.

The best part is the social side of the game. You have to deal with people and make trades and all that. There's no AI, everything is between people. That, combined with the quick anywhere anytime gameplay, makes it pretty addicting.

It's not action packed or anything, but the community makes it something worth buying, especially for $2. There already seems to be lots of people playing. I picked it up not long after it came out and there was a long list of players online. It's even midnight here(MST). If you're thinking about it, just go get it.

10-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Apparently the game keeps going when you're not playing. I woke up this morning and half my stuff was gone. Seems I basically got mugged three times while I slept.
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Apparently the game keeps going when you're not playing. I woke up this morning and half my stuff was gone. Seems I basically got mugged three times while I slept.
Wow, well that has helped change my mind. Is this a bug? I guess I don't relaly understand the way the game is played to understand how this happens. So, do you "fight" other players for loot? How do the "fights" work? Dice rolling, 3d attack graphics?

Do you have to set up an account for this gaem? That is odd. I was thinking about this game, but have my doubts now.
10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
Wow, well that has helped change my mind. Is this a bug? I guess I don't relaly understand the way the game is played to understand how this happens. So, do you "fight" other players for loot? How do the "fights" work? Dice rolling, 3d attack graphics?

Do you have to set up an account for this gaem? That is odd. I was thinking about this game, but have my doubts now.
I actually think it's great.

The fights are based on your attack and defense points. You don't so much fight, as much as you steal a weaker person's stuff. You can find new stuff real esily though, so it's not like you constanly get picked on.

You get the points from collecting loot with different values. You can pick up and play it quickly, which is why I think they allow you to be attacked when you're not playing. It's an interesting setup. I find it surprisingly fun.

The continual gameplay is what makes it fun I think. There are no levels or anything too involved, but if you don't keep up with your character, you'll pay for it. You can just pick it up and play for five minutes whenever you get a chance, but the game doesn't ever end.

It's well worth $2.
10-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I like to see a video of this game in action. It's hard to get an idea on how it plays from the screenshots. I've searched YouTube, but can't find one. Anyone know of one?
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrett101 View Post
Hey guys,

New member here, but I've been using the site for a while for great info on games for my touch. Has anyone tried Loot Wars yet? I'm pretty sure it's only just gone up, and obviously there are no reviews yet, but it looks like the perfect game for the type of RPG player I am (horde cool stuff, and gain achievements etc). I think I'm gonna grab it, but I was just wondering if anyone had already taken the plunge yet.

Thanks
Mr. Dev, any plans on making a vid of the game in action? Although based on NotYou's review, the continual gameplay might be a deal breaker for me, I will not pick up and play this every single day for sure. You don't have to remove it, maybe just put a cap on how much "damage" you can have if you didn't play it for a while.
10-15-2008, 02:49 PM
sounds like mobstars on myspace, which got kinda old and boring, not that this game will....but i always hated the fact that you would get robbed when you didn't play, and then i figured out that they only attacked and robbed you when you engaged in activity, so you could funnel money around and not loose anything...anywho it was quite boring after a week...again this review was for mobstars and not this game,...

looking forward to a review of this one, and a video
10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudehuge View Post
Mr. Dev, any plans on making a vid of the game in action? Although based on NotYou's review, the continual gameplay might be a deal breaker for me, I will not pick up and play this every single day for sure. You don't have to remove it, maybe just put a cap on how much "damage" you can have if you didn't play it for a while.
I'm not the developer of this, just someone who wondered if anyone else had tried it yet. I went ahead and got it last night, so have a bit of time with it under my belt now.

First off, if you're not up to play every day, not even for a few minutes then it probably isn't for you. It does take constant attention to ensure you have the best items, are using up your energy, and replacing anything that gets stolen. It's a little annoying that you can be mugged while not playing, because you're technically always online (or at least a valid target for other players).

I can see it potentially getting a little boring after a few days. Already I have a setup that doesn't show any enemies as 'red' i.e. potentially too powerful to beat, so I'm assuming that means I have one of the best setups available, but the diversity of items and setups never means you're guaranteed to win a battle. The developers realise though that unless you're really dedicated you could lose interest soon, so they do plan to add to it, as well as run special events and competitions etc. For a couple of dollars, it isn't bad. One or two frozen screens in the arena requiring you to launch the app again, but otherwise the gameplay is very fluid and easy to understand.

If people are interested I can throw together a video of it and post it on youtube, I haven't done something like that before but I don't think it's particularly difficult. I don't have to get the developer's permission do I? I'd be surprised if I did. If people want to see that, let me know.
10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Yay! First post!

If anybody is interested in seeing the game in action, check my latest YouTube game-play video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvNxxqFt3P0

If it says it's still processing, give it some time. I just uploaded it.