★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Revolution
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 595.5 MB
  • Version: 1.5
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Paris in the Fall a brutal murder at the Palais Royale. When Nico Collard is invited to interview statesman Pierre Carchon, she finds herself inextricably drawn into a terrifying conspiracy.

One of the all-time classic adventures, multi BAFTA-nominated 'Broken Sword: Directors Cut' pitches sassy journalist Nico Collard, and intrepid American George Stobbart into a mysterious journey of intrigue and jeopardy. Guide George and Nico on their globe-spanning adventure, exploring exotic locations, solving ancient mysteries, and thwarting a dark conspiracy to reveal the secret truths of the Knights Templar.

Featuring a widely-praised touch interface, 'Broken Sword: The Directors Cut' introduces an intricate new narrative thread, alongside the classic story that has charmed millions of players. Its time to experience George and Nicos worldwide adventure in a whole new way, with brand new puzzles, hilarious new jokes, and the distinctive, rich story that made the series so deservedly renowned. This is adventure gaming at its very best.

"Big screen makes a big difference; superb acting; excellent graphics...The iPad truly is the ideal platform for adventure games." Slidetoplay 4/4 (Must Have)

Named one of '25 Best iPad Games' by GamePro: '... beautiful art, high-quality soundtrack, and fantastic animation'

Featuring higher resolution graphics, and additional features over the iPhone version, which itself received the following rave review:

Broken Sword: Shadow Of The Templars has always been a stellar example of video games' potential as a storytelling medium; now it also serves as a masterclass in porting to a handheld platform. With its glistening presentation, adroit controls and additional content, this is arguably one of the finest titles to appear on the App Store to date.
Digital Spy (5/5)

Full English speech, with subtitles and the option to download additional speech audio (for free) in French, German, Spanish or Italian.
05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Love the game on iPhone, best interface for point-and-click genre. I thought Monkey Island's controls were fine but after playing this it was like... just very hard to go back to (which is a shame as that's another classic game too).

I wonder how large they make the graphics when they remade it. I want to see the full-res original images

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.

05-26-2010, 01:57 AM
I must pick this up! Awesome game! Played it on the PC, and never really got into it on the iPhone, cause the screen is too small (or something). The iPad is perfect for it!
05-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Awesome!!! Thought we'd see Beneath a Steel Sky first from Revolution Software. But no complains since I love Broken Sword just as much. Worth easily $8. I won't feel bad even if Revolution will have a sale down the road.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Excellent Game.....

But, I have an iPad... bought the iPhone version to use on my iPad about a week ago, and now if I want the iPad version I have to pay $8? I kind of feel cheated....

Bremen Cole
iPad Mini 32gig, iPhone 4 16 gig
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
If you don't want to pay for enhanced graphics, no need to. Just use the iPhone one. For me personally $8 for this content is seriously cheap (558mb worth of enhanced graphics). The DS version is what, $19? Perhaps you can get $15 thru ebay? But dude, this game's user experience on the iPad will kick the ass of the DS or even the Wii version. I paid the early adapter's price of $6.99 on the iPhone version and I will even go as far as $9.99 for an iPad version. But seeing the $7.99 price is truly awesome. You could also wait awhile if you wish to guess for Revolution Software to give a price-drop someday.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
05-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Is it just me or does the text size look really small compared to the screen in the screenshots?
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
For those who have played through the iPhone version...Is there a lot of reading in this game? As posted above, I'm concerned that the text is very small. My job entails a lot of eye work everyday. I don't want to subject my eyes to additional strain by reading a bunch of small text when I'm not at work. Thanks.
05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipangle View Post
For those who have played through the iPhone version...Is there a lot of reading in this game? As posted above, I'm concerned that the text is very small. My job entails a lot of eye work everyday. I don't want to subject my eyes to additional strain by reading a bunch of small text when I'm not at work. Thanks.
It doesn't have that much reading in but if it's a problem, I would suggest getting the regular ipod game and 2x'ing that. (Unless the graphics end up really bad)

The movie cinematics are mostly pictures but they added the text... It needs to be adressed in an update... The text filled half of the screen (about) in ipod but here it seems like 1/15th.
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Anyone else having a problem running the HD version? I just bought and installed it and after selecting New Game on start up get a black screen with an arrow at the bottom which when pressed pops me into middle of the first section of the game (where the protagonist finds the dead body of the man she has come to interview). I deleted and re-installed the game, rebooted the iPad and it happened again. I then deleted the HD app from iTunes and then downloaded it again and then installed it with the same problem repeated.

Note: I also own the iPhone app but I never finished it (though I did get much further into the game than the point where the HD version starts...).