★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it possible to contact users who leave reviews?

05-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Is it possible to contact users who leave reviews?

Hi,

Does anyone know a way in which you can contact a user who leaves a review on a product? - I've had a review left which (combined with some reviews the chap has done on other products) is simply down to a hardware issue with his device (accelerometer giving rogue feedback).

If I can contact him then I can explain how he turns that side of things off so he can play the game - however I'm at a loss as to how to contact him ... any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marc
05-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know a way in which you can contact a user who leaves a review on a product? - I've had a review left which (combined with some reviews the chap has done on other products) is simply down to a hardware issue with his device (accelerometer giving rogue feedback).

If I can contact him then I can explain how he turns that side of things off so he can play the game - however I'm at a loss as to how to contact him ... any ideas?

Marc
Welcome to the world of iTunes reviews, there is currently no way to contact a user that left a review. I really hope they implement some sort of developer feedback option where you can comment on user's review as a developer.

05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeca View Post
Welcome to the world of iTunes reviews, there is currently no way to contact a user that left a review. I really hope they implement some sort of developer feedback option where you can comment on user's review as a developer.
This is what has bugged me about their review system. It's very one-sided and doesn't allow the developer to address their own customer base to help their customers out with the problems they're having. I seriously hope they fix this, because it's a fairly significant source of consternation when you get one-star reviews for absurd, novice reasons by users who didn't RTFM. Legit issues are fine, though a review isn't quite the right place to report it, but I see way too many reviews from people who just don't get how to play or use the app, which is not necessarily the developer's fault.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Here is a trick that has worked for me on multiple occasions.

Search the user name in google and don't be surprised with a little investigation you might find the real person. It works best when the user has a very unique name.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
05-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Apple is making lots of changes on the Appstore on these days (Top 200, "In the Spolight" / "What's Hot" for Game categories), I really hope they will integrate a way to contact reviewers or to post a comment as a developer, maybe they will announce that during WWDC...

Developer of CrossRoads, Tiny Planet, Kiko: The Last Totem.
Kiko: The Last Totem: Appstore link
CrossRoads: Appstore link
05-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I think commenting on a review would be best, it still lets users anonymously leave their opinions, but gives the developer a way to explain things if the bad review is just some sort of misunderstanding
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Hi,

Marc

no, that would be considered harrasssment

I wish I hadn't killed that fish
05-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
Is it you, Kijib? You know if you do something you have to tell a developer or !!!!!!THE DEVIL!!!!!!! will take your soul.
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, it's tough. At least on Yelp I believe you can respond to people.

The best thing I think, is to be as clear as possible with your in-game documentation (develop it for people who don't wanna read stuff in mind) and pretty much force that it will be seen. You need to make this as non-annoying as possible.

Otherwise, just have a decent way for your customerbase to reach you (support webpage with an email address setup) and maybe a FAQ on there as well, though for an iPhone game I'd expect most people aren't going to go through to bother since the games feel very disposable.
05-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
Thats quite possibly one of the strange things I've ever heard - I can contact anyone on numerous forums via. PM's and optionally emails - yet a paying customer who needs help it would be 'harassment' .... ? .....