Double Across, A Multiplayer Crossword Game With Literary-Based Computer Opponents
Our new game "Double Across" has been submitted to iTunes and is currently in review. It should be available in about a week. Game details follow; check out our first game play video on YouTube or scroll down to see the screenshots.
If you haven't already done so, go to http://doubleacross.com to register to win a ton of cool stuff.
Double Across is the exciting new word game for the 21st century; it's designed for everyone who loves books, board games, or crossword puzzles. Double Across invites to travel back in time to match the power of your vocabulary against such fascinating computerized personalities as Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, William Shakespeare, and Aesop. For an even greater challenge you and your friends can match wits with the incredibly powerful Mr. Genius. When playing against these built-in personalities, Double Across not only lets you exercise your vocabulary skills, it is also a delightful source of entertainment. Whenever you play a word that strikes their fancy, these characters wax romantic (Jane Austen), colorful (Mark Twain), philosophical (Jules Verne), poetic (William Shakespeare), or quixotic (Aesop) by proudly spouting off phrases and quotes from their published works.
This is the game inventor Alfred Butts (a.k.a. Mr. Scrabble™) would have invented if he had had an iPad. The strategy is to construct new words of any length, one at a time, to build an ever expanding crossword composition. At the beginning of each turn a player has four minutes to make a word that intersects with as many existing words as possible.
• 1 - 6 Players (Play solo or against up to five human or computerized friends using the same iPad.)
• 6 Distinct Computer Personalities [AI's] (Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, William Shakespeare, Aesop, and Mr. Genius)
• 5 Individualized AI Dictionaries (Author AI's are restricted to using words from their writings.)
• Thousands Of AI Quotations (Author AI's respond to words played by others with lines from their books, bringing out elements of Adventure, Philosophy, Science Fiction, Drama and Romance.)
• Uber Genius AI Included (Mr. Genius knows it all and plays it all. Watch out!)
• 4 Unique English Dictionaries (American, British, Canadian, and Australian).
• Proper Nouns Optional (There are more than 3,000 proper nouns included, in such categories as: common first names, common last names, countries, states, cities, other geographical names, days of the week, months of the year, planetary bodies, constellation names, names of languages, etc.)
• No Need For Word Challenges (No penalties are assessed for trial words or misspellings.)
• Unlimited Letters (Each player starts with all of the letters they'll need, and you can buy more.)
• No Forced Hard-To-Use Letters (You can't get stuck with Q's and X's that you can't use.)
• Blanks Unnecessary (Buy whichever letter you may need, including Q's and X's.)
• No Word Length Limit (Play words of any length.)
• Non-Random Game Play (Double Across is more like Chess than Yahtzee®.)
• No Poker Face Required (Everyone can see everyone else's letters.)
• Extremely Large Playing Field (Double Across's board is 10x the size of Scrabble® or Words With Friends™.)
• Timed Multiplayer (Party games don't get boring.)
• User Friendly Interface (Type your words or drag tiles to the board.)
• Works With Hardware Keyboards (Use your Bluetooth or iPad Dock Keyboard.)
• Family Friendly (Kids can learn lots of new words, and the AI's are prohibited from playing profanity.)
• Stunning Graphics (It's OK to judge this book by its cover.)
Last edited by Cortis; 05-28-2010 at 10:51 AM.