★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: EpicTilt
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 16.1 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: JIRBO proudly presents Silo MAD!

It's time to bring Armageddon down on your enemies in Silo MAD. Look no further if you want a fast paced Real Time Strategy game requiring skill.

----
Part of the JIRBO social gaming network with +30MM downloads and counting!
----

What's in store for you:
- Nuclear Winter
- Unique offensive and defensive game play unlike any other RTS
- Multiple upgrade paths
- Intense arcade like action
- Plenty of life or death split second decisions
- 3 tutorial missions to show you the ropes
- Quick Play mode
- A fun campaign
- Amazing graphics inspired by the inside of a real nuclear missile silo
- Lots of fun

Saucepolicy's comments:
(I did a search and couldn't find an existing thread for this game...)

05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Can you change the first part of your tag to [appinfo=all] so the app description shows up too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
05-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Game Impressions

I don't know what caused me to download the game, but I'm quite happy that I did. It reminds me of a cross between Missile Command and the real-time territory acquisition mechanics of an old PC game called Z.

There are two basic components to the game: A race to acquire and hold territory between you and the AI, and a missile command-esque defense of your territories that are under attack.

You start off most missions with one territory and a small amount of cash. Firing the basic offensive missile at an enemy territory costs a buck, as does launching an anti-ballistic missile at incoming enemy attacks. For five dollars, you can send out a transport plane to other territories, either to take over an unoccupied one or in an attempt to destroy an enemy territory. I know the cash amounts seem ridiculous, but in a frantic game like this it helps keep everything simple and easy to understand.

There are special territories that provide bonuses when held, such as long range radar, offensive and defensive factories, and mineral deposits (extra cash). You can reinforce your territories with extra transports, a la Risk.

Eventually you can build automated defensive and offensive structures, as well as more powerful manually activated attacks.

It's a very fast-paced game, great for short play sessions. There's a little bit of Diner Dash feel to the proceedings, especially the first moments of later levels where you are constantly shifting your attention between manually destroying incoming missiles and trying to take over new territory and structures as quickly as possible. It's all too easy for the AI to gain the upper hand and I admit that I'm not far into the campaign and am already having trouble multitasking nearly as well as the AI. Currently there is no difficulty setting, and I personally hope that they take another balance pass at the campaign as there's a consierable difficulty spike between mission 2 and 3.

The presentation is very solid, though I did turn off the rock soundtrack after awhile. In-game graphics are a bit reminiscent of Defcon, while the menus have a nice, grunge-y Cold War feel.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how fun it is. The fact that it's only 99 cents is icing on the cake.

One last note to the devs if they read this: change the icon. Your game has a lot of polish and style, but the generic icon of a mushroom cloud doesn't hint at the goodness within. I'd hate to see the game vanish without a trace. A sequel with a few more upgrades and multiplayer would be especially welcome, so I hope it does well for you.

Last edited by Saucepolicy; 05-26-2010 at 07:49 PM.
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
Can you change the first part of your tag to [appinfo=all] so the app description shows up too?
Done. Thought it did that by default when I looked up the BBCode. My apologies.
05-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepolicy View Post
Done. Thought it did that by default when I looked up the BBCode. My apologies.
No problem .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.