★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane 9.02

10-15-2008, 12:24 AM
X-Plane 9.02

It's out, and looking sweet ^__^
10-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Woot!!! It's here!

I've been waiting on this update ever since they announced the update and X-Plane Automotive. This has some very worthwhile fixes and toppings to go with it! I just downloaded it, and I will tell more about it after I have had some time to try out the EPIC new features, such as the map!!!

10-15-2008, 02:56 AM
I have downloaded it and love it.
Here are some of the improvements-
Firstly, the propeller graphics look a LOT more realistic when rotating-

And here is the new map when you first view it-

But of course you can zoom in by pinching, and rotate and move-

And of course, as you can see from the map, there are now 3 airports/runways. Excellent. To any of the admin, you are very welcome to use these pics for a post on the main blog if you like.
10-15-2008, 03:18 AM
More photo's-
New airport/runway (I don't know how the developer calls them airports when there nothing there but the runway) number 1-

New airport/runway number 2-

After playing around for a while, I have found a couple of things with the map that could do with a little working on. Firstly, we have a compass in the HUD of the plane, but there is NO compass on the map! You only know what's North by the maps default orientation (2nd picture from the top on my previous post). Surely it's customary to have a compass on a map, no? Secondly, the plane visible on the map (visible on the same picture) is always pointing up regardless of the actual plane direction. I didn't realize at first, and thought I was going in the right direction for the runway when in fact I wasn't (the first point about the lack of a compass on the map doesn't help here). I will email the dev about this. Still great otherwise.
10-15-2008, 04:04 AM
Is there a way to select a starting airport? I'd like to start near the sea in the north .

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Is there a way to select a starting airport? I'd like to start near the sea in the north .
Actually this is the other thing I want in an update. You can't actually choose which one to start on. You either choose the default runway (the original one) or a random place on the map.
I have tried in vain to contact the developer by email, but can't find one on the official site. I know of an X-Plane dedicated forum site here , where I have posted the same pics, and am hoping the dev frequents the site.
10-15-2008, 04:20 AM
Ok. I tried the thing with the random location. This obviously works after a few trys, but in about half of the random locations I'm set *directly* in front of a mountain and have to react a bit faster than normal to not fly into it. So I see work on this feature as well .

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Ok. I tried the thing with the random location. This obviously works after a few trys, but in about half of the random locations I'm set *directly* in front of a mountain and have to react a bit faster than normal to not fly into it. So I see work on this feature as well .
Yeah, when that happens I like to pretend the real pilot has just fainted from scurvy or something, and you have just taken over control after chucking him out (the seat I mean, not the plane ).
10-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Hey you were saying that you couldn't find an email to talk to the developer/staff? I have been talking to them off and on and they respond to my questions relatively quickly. BTW, the update is pretty awesome.
10-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey the developer just sent me an email that says:

"More coming, Brian. 9.03 will be out in the next week or two and will give you a instrument panel you can shoot instrument approaches with, and fly IMC on. It's really, truly becoming an amazing little app, on an amazing little computer. Enjoy!"

Austin and his team are firing off updates faster than we can ask! Anyways I hope this provides insight to those of you who like me can't wait for the next update!