★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Chillingo Ltd
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 194.2 MB
  • Version: 1.2.3
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.4 (5)
App description: Welcome to Assault Squadron, an explosive and fast-moving sci-fi shoot-em-up. The Binary Mill and Chillingo redefine bullet-hell blasters in the iPhone's hottest arcade shmup extravaganza.

The Global Defense Force reports that Earth is under attack by a hostile, unidentified vessel containing thousands of enemy craft. Striking with unwavering precision, the invasion destroys key defensive facilities to leave Earth and its inhabitants at the mercy of fearsome alien attackers.

You are a part of the Assault Squadron; an elite tactical space combat force dispatched by the Federal Alliance to defeat the alien enemy. Assault Squadrons explosive sci-fi missions and in-depth storyline will thrill shoot-em-up fans and casual players alike as they battle to save the Earth.

PRESS QUOTES

SlideToPlay: Perfect 4/4 Rating - Assault Squadron is one of the best-looking and best-playing shooters on the App Store!

TouchArcade: Assault Squadron is a "bullet hell" shooter that's particularly striking for the insane frame rate at which it runs - a solid 60 FPS!

Geek.com: Assault Squadron, a visually stunning iPhone shooter

Appmodo: Assault Squadron can easily be considered as the best top-down shooter. It has tons of shooting, 2 game modes that provides hours of gameplay, an amazing frame-rate that makes animations first class, and cinematics that will throw you straight into the scene.

NEW FEATURES

- Added Relative Touch Controls
- Increased ship movement speed
- Increased point bonus for completing a level without dying or being hit

FEATURES

FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE, UPGRADABLE SHIPS
Each ship has its own stats and unique abilities with fully upgradable weapon systems ranging from Vulcan Cannons and Spiral Grenades to Torpedo Missiles and Tri-Vortex Bombs.

ADRENALINE-POWERED SPECIAL ABILITIES AND EXPLOSIVE COMBOS
Discover special abilities to unleash devastating chain combo attacks and achieve world-beating high-scores.

JAW-DROPPING PRESENTATION
Experience shoot-em-up gameplay the way its meant to be played with a custom-built graphics engine enabling seamless 60 frames-per-second action, presented in both top-down and side-scrolling perspectives with epic cinematics.

NON-STOP ACTION AND DISCOVERY
Battle armadas of unique alien invaders in the story-based Campaign Mode and unlock Arcade Mode to jump right into the action anytime! And don't forget to power up your ship ready for the action-packed boss battles!

VIBRATION SUPPORT
Feel every hit and enjoy every explosion via the vibration function as you are fully immersed in bullet-hell battle, and take to the war-torn skies using touch, tilt, or virtual joystick controls.

CRYSTAL LEADERBOARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Players can see how they compare to other fearless commanders around the world via a comprehensive scoring system, online leaderboards and achievements through Crystal!

LICENSED SOUNDTRACK
By psychedelic trance artist, Psygone.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Assault Squadron TEASER

Youtube link | Pop Up

Assault Squadron TRAILER

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
What's New In Version 1.2.2

- Online Scoreboard fix for iOS4 users (net detection issue)
- Full iOS4 compatibility including fast-app switching
- Latest version of Crystal added
- Various bug fixes
05-29-2010, 05:43 AM
hmm, I remember people being very hyped for this
*shrugs*

05-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Looks surprisingly fantastic... on the fence right now because of the 2.99 tag!

OpenFeint / Gameloft ID: KiranB28
Hooked On: Cut The Rope, Bookworm, Samurai II
Reckless Racer, Modern Combat 2 (add me!)
05-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Looks awesome! Today Chillingo with "Pirate's Treasure" and now "Assault Squadron" are giving us first class titles.
05-29-2010, 05:55 AM
DOH! I'm stuck at work so I will have to wait until I get off to try this game out!
05-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprone View Post
Looks awesome! Today Chillingo with "Pirate's Treasure" and now "Assault Squadron" are giving us first class titles.
2 bombs, yes.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
05-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranb28 View Post
Looks surprisingly fantastic... on the fence right now because of the 2.99 tag!
I'm hesitating a little for the price, cause today i already bought some other titles, but the quality of the game is that is pushing me to buy it now!
05-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprone View Post
I'm hesitating a little for the price, cause today i already bought some other titles, but the quality of the game is that is pushing me to buy it now!
I know what you mean!

I dove into Trenches, Infinity Project, Prince of Persia, Ragdoll Blaster 2, Supermarket Mania and Bowmaster in the past 3 days!

Thinking of taking the plunge into Assault Squadron and Pirate's Treasure next

OpenFeint / Gameloft ID: KiranB28
Hooked On: Cut The Rope, Bookworm, Samurai II
Reckless Racer, Modern Combat 2 (add me!)
05-29-2010, 06:03 AM
Looks damn good...but I've spent way too much on apps this week already.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
05-29-2010, 06:08 AM
it is damn good.

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.