★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jompe71
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 2.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: M a s q u e r a d e D e l u x e

Masquerade is an old text adventure game released on the old C64 and AppleII platforms by
American Eagle Software in 1984.

This deluxe/remake version is an almost identical replica but with remastered graphics and dialogs.
If you liked text adventures from the old school days, this is the game for you.
Back in the days the game was considered one of the toughest so be prepared for some hard adventuring.

The game consists of 50 locations, different background theme music and nice cartoon graphics.
2 new locations have been added so that any walkthrough found on the Internet cannot be followed to a 100% degree.

# Game how-to's:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This adventure gameplay is all about giving input commands at you current location. All commands consists
of no more than 2 words.

For example "go west", "examine stone", "wait" and so on. For each command you will be given a response which can be
anything from moving the story forward, new items or object found, command is invalid and more.

# Story:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You are a detective trying to track down the gangster boss "Mr. Topp". You found a new lead in your search and
this lead you to a cheap hotel room. There you stumbled upon a notorious hitman and managed to knock him out cold with your 44 magnum.

The story starts there

# Tips:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Some commands are worth trying more than once in the same location.
- Some things which you do in one location may have affect in another.
- You can list your inventory with the "inv" command.
- If you're not careful enough you can get killed. If so you must start from the beginning.
- In the original game some things had to be done in a specified order to complete the game. This feature is preserved!
- In autosave mode game is saved only upon location change.
- Try to memorize the locations relation to each other. Graphics may sometimes lie. For example, what looks to be an exit North can actually be South.

# Tricks:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Hold down on a savegame for a few seconds and you will be prompted if you want to delete it.
- Savegames can be copied using drag-n-drop.

Enjoy!

Jompe71's comments:
If the Zork I-III was something for you and you're up for some old school text adventurin' this is the game you play: Masquerade DL

It's hard... It's old school! If you get stuck, PM or mail me (I'm counting on IT! )
Bugs and crashes are welcome as game update reports. Note that this game is developed on my free time (first on IPhone) so what you see is what you get. Don't expect professional company quality, but expect PURE OLD SCHOOL!
05-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompe71 View Post
If the Zork I-III was something for you and you're up for some old school text adventurin' this is the game you play: Masquerade DL

It's hard... It's old school! If you get stuck, PM or mail me (I'm counting on IT! )
Bugs and crashes are welcome as game update reports. Note that this game is developed on my free time (first on IPhone) so what you see is what you get. Don't expect professional company quality, but expect PURE OLD SCHOOL!
I'll have to give this a try. Got Frotz for multiple platforms. Its been many years since I played Zork, but was one of my favorites. I'll let you know if I encounter problems.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
holy crap! so glad this post was at the top! been waiting for this forever! thank you ^_^

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Awesome. Love the old school text adventures from my childhood. 2 stars!?? Clearly there are a lot of people not of my generation reviewing this game.
05-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Haven't tried it on the iPhone yet, but it crashes on the iPad - exits the app. And it is happening at the beginning of the game in the first room... Will try on the iPhone though, since that is what it is designed for.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer