★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

choosing a good TA thread title

05-30-2010, 11:58 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
choosing a good TA thread title

Screenshots, trailers, gameplay... all mean nothing unless people consider your thread title interesting enough to click on it.

What makes a good/bad thread title and/or app name?
05-30-2010, 01:38 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Screenshots, trailers, gameplay... all mean nothing unless people consider your thread title interesting enough to click on it.

What makes a good/bad thread title and/or app name?

App name, pricing, genre.
That's what I like most.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

05-30-2010, 02:40 PM
#3
If you have a really success full game, mention that in the title.
Gametitle, Price, By the dev of blahblah
05-30-2010, 04:09 PM
#4
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,652
I prefer "[App Name] by [Developer / Company Name] ([Price])"

 /l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
05-30-2010, 04:10 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 515
I like it when the developer lets me know it is the most addicting game ever
05-30-2010, 04:14 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
I like it when the developer lets me know it is the most addicting game ever
Lmfao, win put the game title in their and the price and by the dev of...but if its one of those gay arse kiddie games or apps for kids, then idc about it

The Life Blog
Minecraft
05-30-2010, 04:43 PM
#7
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perv, why do you care?
Posts: 1,807
I think for a game, it should go :
Title (Developer) [Price]
05-30-2010, 05:50 PM
#8
Definitely the title and developer name - that should go without saying. Also a good idea might be to say "for fans of [app]", where [app] is a relatively well-known app that appeals to the majority of the group you're marketing your app toward. That way you draw more attention to your thread, give people a basic idea of what your app is, grab the eye of fans of the other app who might not otherwise have known about yours, AND show up in the results of any searches for [app].

If you're having an introductory sale definitely mention that, and include the price if you have any space left.
05-30-2010, 06:24 PM
#9
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
Also a good idea might be to say "for fans of [app]"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
If you're having an introductory sale definitely mention that, and include the price if you have any space left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
Gametitle, Price, By the dev of blahblah
The 3 points you must do, especially if you're relatively new and still unknown. I find myself clicking threads that have those 3 more often.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,006
Good ideas all. I always thought it was a bit cheesy for developers to mention someone else's game in their title, but I can see what you mean about the potential benefits.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is something I haven't been able to put a finger on... Occasionally I'll find myself drawn to an app just based on some strangeness in the title which makes me want to find out what it's all about. Some examples are "Anger of Stick" "Fruit Ninja" and "Sword and Poker" - these are just such odd combinations of words, that you almost can't help but click through to see what they are all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
Definitely the title and developer name - that should go without saying. Also a good idea might be to say "for fans of [app]", where [app] is a relatively well-known app that appeals to the majority of the group you're marketing your app toward. That way you draw more attention to your thread, give people a basic idea of what your app is, grab the eye of fans of the other app who might not otherwise have known about yours, AND show up in the results of any searches for [app].

If you're having an introductory sale definitely mention that, and include the price if you have any space left.