★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What Happened to Sega

02-22-2009, 10:12 AM
What Happened to Sega

When apple announced the app store sega was on board and one of the bigger companies. They praised apple and were very excited about it. The had one of the biggest hits with SMB and even rushed out a sloppy port of sega columns. Now months later the only other thing they have released is SMB lite. Where have they gone? have they abandoned the app store or are they just working on the best version of Sonic the Hedgehog the world has ever seen?

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
How are we to know?
Your asking the wrong people

02-22-2009, 10:17 AM
I think there's a good chance SEGAs done with the App Store. But, a Sonic game would be nice if they're still around.

02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
My guess is they will be back for the premium store.
02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Most of Sega is busy with trying to find a way to attach both the 32x and sega cd to the iDevices, while still maintaining portability.

All the rest of Sega's dudes are busy thinking of new ways to run the Sonic franchise into the ground.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here

Last edited by s0mah; 02-22-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: OMG MOAR SPALLING ARRORS
02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Well, for Sonic an iteration of Secret Rings core mechanic would be the most natural fit. As for support in general, for anything remotely close to major support don't expect news until a games convention. What games convention, who knows (isn't Apple going to present one? Failing that, E3 and the like).

On the other hand it all depends what impact the recent downsizing of Sega will ensue. It may have affected the relevant studios attached to mobile / ipod gaming.
02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I could understand them being slow or abandoning the app store if SMB flopped big time and they lost loads of money on the project, but it was a commercial success (quite poor reviews though) seeing as its still at number 63 (overall store) as of writing and has been in top 100 pretty much since launch!

Come on Sega, pull your finger out and give me a new game or even a port of one of the Dreamcast titles like Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, Sega Rally, Chu Chu Rocket or Samba de Amigo.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM
I don't know. I'm supeised them and Nintendo haven't converted any of the Mario and Sonic games to the app store; they could make a killing

Plus+ Account- Hobbes
02-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
I don't know. I'm supeised them and Nintendo haven't converted any of the Mario and Sonic games to the app store; they could make a killing
Surprised? Really? I'm not! Ok, Sega maybe, but why on earth would Nintendo release 'any' game let alone there biggest franchise on what is essentially a possible rival to the DS? The only realistic chance of that hapening is if someone pulls another 'Duck Hunt' and illegally tries to submit a port to the AppStore. Currently Jailbraking is your only option for playing them Nintendo classics.
02-22-2009, 12:40 PM
there are a few threads posing this same question, but they have been burried in the likes that sega has only released two games for the ipod

the best thing to do is ask sega directly, and see if you get a response