★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Vintru, LLC
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 7.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The 2010 "Best Family Game" (Games Magazine 100) is now available for the iPhone and iPodTouch!

Build a thriving civilization - in only a few minutes!

Collect goods, assign workers to build cities and erect monuments, advance your civilization through cultural and scientific developments, but don't forget to harvest enough food to feed your growing population. Grab those dice and Roll Through the Ages in this fast-paced, addictive and strategic game.

Play the solo game and post your score and Achievements to Facebook. Or play head-to-head against your friends with "pass 'n play".

This just in: RTtA was nominated for the 2010 "Spiel des Jahres" - Germany's prestigious "Game of the Year" award!

mrbass's comments:

I believe this is coming out for iPad too so those with iPads may wish to hold off for a bit.
05-31-2010, 02:01 PM
It looks great and I'm a sucker for board games. I think I'll hold off for impressions though, I've never played the actual game so I don't know what I'm getting into for 5 bucks. Time to raid BGG and find out more I suppose

05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
It looks really great, anybody played the original board game?
05-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Looks very interesting
05-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Just downloaded--misspelled words

Will rate game shortly, but in the instruction pages-- lots of misspelled words; someone embarassingly fell asleep at quality control-- an update would be nice
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
ok couldn't wait for iPad version if indeed it is forthcoming like I hope. Anyway just been playing this 2X on my ipad for about last two hours or so. Highest score I got was 50 points playing solo for normal game and 31 points for Last Bronze Age although that is quite more involved. If playing solo you have 10 rounds to try to get a high score.

I believe Bronze Age has the following that normal game doesn't for development cards. Also cost is tad higher for a few development cards.

- Preservation (double your food by trading in one pottery before rolling)
- Shipping (swap 1 good for ship)
- Smithing (invasion affects opponents)
- Granaries (turn in food for 6 coins apiece)
- Commerce (bonus 1 pts per good)

So far I like it. I only played it once in real life and didn't like it all that much cuz I had no idea strategy to pursue unlike the other players who had played it a few times previously.

iPhone version works pretty well. I'm playing player 2 now to get an idea of multiplayer. Thing you must concern yourself is racing to build monuments and not sure if that is easily tracked. Perhaps you just should view the player's actions so you don't have to ask them how many workers they have in a certain monument.

One thing would be nice is if they put the bonus pts in the listing of development cards rather than having to press blue arrow to see what it is.

When playing the game you navigate your turn by press the top right button (the left button next to it is to return to previous screen if you wish to). Games go relatively quick and solo gives you a chance to learn game and try out certain strategies.

This game just got nominated for German Game of the Year for 2010 (one of five nominees). If you got 2 mins and 30 secs watch this video. Exactly like the board game but without the paper pads and automatic scoring.
edit: oops reverting back to original link (posted wrong youtube)
http://www.boardtodeath.tv/review/1616

Don't be confused though this game is may not be for average job who doesn't like a little bit of luck sprinkled in his games with the dice even though your allowed three rerolls. But for those into euro german strategy games it's worth it I'd say.

Last edited by mrbass; 05-31-2010 at 04:41 PM.
05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
It looks really great, anybody played the original board game?
A few of my coworkers and I have played the board game several times...it was fun but I don't know that I need an iPhone version. However, I'll ask one of them to toftt and give some impressions based on the physical version.
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Hmm, that video makes me want Through the Ages more than Roll Through the Ages. I like the heavier strategy mechanic that doesn't focus on luck.

Is Roll Through the Ages better suited towards casual gamers? or is it still complex?
05-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Hmm, that video makes me want Through the Ages more than Roll Through the Ages. I like the heavier strategy mechanic that doesn't focus on luck.

Is Roll Through the Ages better suited towards casual gamers? or is it still complex?
yea sorry got you the wrong video at first (since replaced). That other game is a 5 hour fest. Last time I played 5 hour game was Hannibal and not gonna repeat that. Longest game I'll play nowadays is Twilight Struggle 2 to 3 hours.

This game is quick especially on the iphone. I think it has decent enough choices to make it compelling for good replay value. I'll add a screenshot of the paper pad so you can get an overview of turn order and what various things mean.

06-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I think I'm more interested in the board game of this...
I may get the app if it's a bit cheaper, though - just to try before I buy the full game.

[EPIC SIGNATURE] shumby [/EPIC SIGNATURE]