★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Play Marbles - New low price

07-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Play Marbles

I was browsing around the new games this morning and this one caught my eye, called Play Marbles ($1.99):

Quote:
FEATURES
Single & multi player options including network and pass n play
Three game types include Ringer, Pound and Moon
League, quick play and knockout game modes
Four game environments and arenas
Six sets of in-game marbles
Great in-game soundtrack or play your own tunes
Expanding range of downloadable marble sets and limited edition components
Expanding range of downloadable and customisable arenas
Pimp your marbles using your own photos
FREE limited edition introductory marble sets

DELIVERY IS JUST THE BEGINNING
New marble sets created and released monthly based on player feedback
New sets will provide a variety of themed marbles
Create, showcase, vote, discuss and comment on the Play Marbles community web site
Web site com
petitions offer the chance to have your marbles designs included in the game
It was only the other day that I was remembering how much I loved playing marbles as a kid. I had a huge collection and it was great fun. Now this app has come along and it seems to offer to a nice nostalgic trip back to childhood.

What I particularly like is the developer's promise to add loads of extra content into the game.

Has anyone's tried this game yet? Is it any good?

Video games and apps reviewed at News Shopper, a newspaper site in London, England. I'm manager of this site, which gets more than 1.4 million page impressions a month. Any devs wanting your games reviewed, please contact me. (I have a US iTunes account)

Last edited by salsamd; 07-29-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: link, video
07-28-2009, 08:32 AM
The first update has just gone into Apple for approval, this just fixes a few little things that came out after the original submission, plus adds the opportunity to challenge friends via email. Work has already begun on the next two big feature updates, so yes we are putting a lot of work into the future of this game. Hopefully Play Marbles will fulfill that wave of nostalgia you have, as well as being a lot fun. We will update you with what is coming in the next module as soon as we can.

07-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I picked this game up and I like it!

Nice and polished. I can't wait to see more arenas / environments / That's probably the most important of updates to me. The current number of 4 is a bit tiny, but I would love to multiply that by about 300!!!!!

I know, unrealistic dreams! Maybe I can settle for 35-50?!?!?

Great job though!

One thing I don't like is how the marbles instantly just dissapear when they go outside the line circle. I wish they would stay put for at least a couple of seconds.

It would also be cool if the leaves shadows move a little bit (on the ground), and if there are ambient sound effects (have yet to use headphones with this game, but I would assume there isn't ambient sounds?)
07-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Does the current version have wifi play? Or the ability to "friend" people and play against them?
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorsound View Post
I picked this game up and I like it!

Nice and polished. I can't wait to see more arenas / environments / That's probably the most important of updates to me. The current number of 4 is a bit tiny, but I would love to multiply that by about 300!!!!!

I know, unrealistic dreams! Maybe I can settle for 35-50?!?!?

Great job though!

One thing I don't like is how the marbles instantly just dissapear when they go outside the line circle. I wish they would stay put for at least a couple of seconds.

It would also be cool if the leaves shadows move a little bit (on the ground), and if there are ambient sound effects (have yet to use headphones with this game, but I would assume there isn't ambient sounds?)

Hi Colorsound

Thanks for the comments so far. We are planning a lot more in terms of environments. At the moment we want to do at least one new environment in each major update, along with new game types. It may take us a while to get up to 400 but at least it ensures plenty of updates

I have passed on your comments regarding the marbles being removed from the play area too soon to the team and it will be looked at in the next couple of updates. Your thoughts on the ambient sound effects are shard by many people here, indeed we do have these effects already but they didn't make it in time for the live version of the game. Keep an eye out for future updates.

The web site will be live soon complete with a competition to design your own marbles which we will include in the game. There will be a community section there where people can submit ideas for improvements to the game or new features, but until then feel free to submit them here as we always keep an eye out here.

Cheers
D
07-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Video of this in action

YouTube: video
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy_Lloyd View Post

It was only the other day that I was remembering how much I loved playing marbles as a kid. I had a huge collection and it was great fun.
I recently bought a huge collection of about 1000 marbles over Ebay lol. I started remembering all the good times when I was a kid and I couldn't help myself lol

This game is interesting, since I can't play marbles nowadays without looking like a weirdo and hanging out with random little kids on a playground might raise some flags
07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Currently you can play multiplayer via the peer-to-peer functionality (bluetooth style). You can also send emails to friends to challenge them. We are currently working on the wifi functionality so you will be able to play people from pretty much anywhere, complete with friends lists and other social features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverScarab View Post
Does the current version have wifi play? Or the ability to "friend" people and play against them?
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Looks neat. Any ability to put any type of 'spin' on the shooter? Left/right/back draw?

Agree, global multi-player and leaderboards would make this game very popular.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Prab; 07-30-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Fixed YouTube embed
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
This looks like a really polished product. Very nifty app. I love the interface and the ability to customize you marbles. Doesn't really add a lot to the gameplay but it's a very nice touch.