★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best RPG? Should I make one?

06-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Best RPG? Should I make one?

Hi Folks

I'm busy deciding what game to make next. I've done a few sports games, an arcade racer, and match 3 puzzler.

I was wondering about an RPG. I've loved playing them in the past, but havent really tried any on the iPhone. I'm going to pick up the Final Fantasies and Chaos Rings for "research" (I love my job ). However, i love to know your thoughts on:

How much chatter do they get on TA - would it be worthwhile?
Which others are the best?
What would you like to see in an RPG?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

cheers

Morgan
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
yeah it would, i like zenotia 2

06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Alot of the rpg's lack depth on the iphone, i have never completed an rpg on the iphone. I think you should make an rpg because you would get alot of support on the forum, but you would have to do something different. Most of them are the same and very repetitive

I don't see the point in signatures..... So here's a gun to keep you entertained *""
06-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah, an RPG would be great. What I'd love to see is a good levelling system in it (so NOT like in CR), and some good graphics (so not Zenonia kind of crap). Also, an interesting storyline, along with at least 5 hours gametime, is a must in my opinion.
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
How bout something like Zelda?
Heh favorite 'asian' RPGs are zenonia, across age, and inotia 2.
06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce Digital View Post
Hi Folks

I'm busy deciding what game to make next. I've done a few sports games, an arcade racer, and match 3 puzzler.

I was wondering about an RPG. I've loved playing them in the past, but havent really tried any on the iPhone. I'm going to pick up the Final Fantasies and Chaos Rings for "research" (I love my job ). However, i love to know your thoughts on:

How much chatter do they get on TA - would it be worthwhile?
Which others are the best?
What would you like to see in an RPG?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

cheers

Morgan
This is a very big subject, with many diverging paths. Do search for threads with "RPG" in the title and you'll find many discussions about what the best RPG is. Frankly, it would probably be best if you take your inspiration from elsewhere; Chaos Rings and The Quest are a good place to start on the iPlatform, but there are so many other classics available on the DS and PSP (not to mention older platforms like Playstation 1 & 2, SNES, etc).

Keep in mind that there are a few heavy hitters coming soon: Aralon, Xenome, Rimelands, Ravensword II, and Spirit Hunter Mineko. RPGs are very popular in general, and only lightly represented on the platform. The key is to come up with something different enough to get people excited.
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
How about something along the lines of Ragnarok Online(mainly class/stat/skillwise). It doesn't necessarily need to be a full on Mmorpg. But it would be nice to have epic Monster battles online (up to 10-20 people on one HUGE monster) for rare drops and PvP because people love that (minus me, I'm more of a co-op person).

It could still manage to be along the Zenonia lines of gameplay which I think is pure awesome from the art down to every little detail of depth. Have a pet system implemented that can level and gain stats as well as its own skill tree and your good to go! Every character would have damn there it's own party system with a large assortment of pet types.

Just some thoughts...
06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
How about something along the lines of Ragnarok Online(mainly class/stat/skillwise). It doesn't necessarily need to be a full on Mmorpg. But it would be nice to have epic Monster battles online (up to 10-20 people on one HUGE monster) for rare drops and PvP because people love that (minus me, I'm more of a co-op person).

It could still manage to be along the Zenonia lines of gameplay which I think is pure awesome from the art down to every little detail of depth. Have a pet system implemented that can level and gain stats as well as its own skill tree and your good to go! Every character would have damn there it's own party system with a large assortment of pet types.

Just some thoughts...
Sorry, must respond to this.

1. MMO: iPT users can only play if there is wifi. If there is wifi, there is usually a computer near them. They'll play on that instead. = MMO idea is bad IMO.

2. Zenonia might have amazing gameplay and ideas, but come on. 'Pure awesome art'?
06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I would like to see a diablo type of RPG.
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
something like pokemon?