★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: FEATURED in "What's Hot" - Sports App Store

Named an 2010 IndieDB.com Unity Built Games Competition Top 10 Finalist

MEDIA REVIEWS

Die-hard fans of the classic 8-bit Ice Hockey style will revel in The Hockey Experiments amusing monster-inspired theme AppSpy

The game features rather cartoony style graphics and an amusing 8-bit style game soundtrack that brings additional amusement to the game iPhoneinCanada.ca

The game has a neat aesthetic...the [Mischievous Muckety Mucks] are very appealing. The visuals really do work. - 148 Apps

GAME FEATURES

Fast-Paced 3-on-3 Arcade Style Ice Hockey

Full 3D Graphics

Exhibition and Tournament Game Modes

Two Difficulty Settings: Novice and Advanced

6 Uniquely Designed Preloaded Teams

2 Achievement-Based Unlockable Teams

4 Extra Teams Available For Purchase

Collect All 24 Humorous Trophies

Totally Radical Power-Ups Give Sweet Skills

On-Ice Clutch-Shot Positions Score 2 Points

Ability To Pull Your Goalie

Career Stats Keeper

OpenFeint Enabled Leaderboards

Facebook & Twitter Integration

From the unhinged minds of Ninth Dimension Studios comes a very unusual grouping of hockey players known as Mischievous Muckety Mucks, brought to life through the use of full 3D graphics and Motion Capture Technology.

CLASSIC ARCADE FEEL & UPDATED GRAPHICS
This game features old school inspired 8-bit music and classic arcade-style gameplay, but is updated with fast-paced action and 3D graphics that are enhanced through the use of on-ice Power-Up Icons. These enable crazy-fast slap-shots, lightning-quick skating, and extra powerful checking.

BEWARE OF SOUP EATING DINOSAURS!
Play for all the world-famous Ice Hockey teams you know and love, like um well, like the Brothzillas, you know, the team whose mascot is a dinosaur who pukes up Minestrone soup. There are way more teams to choose from, but we cant seem to recall the names at the moment.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN MUCKETY MUCKS?
Practice your skills in Exhibition Mode or shoot for the glory in Tournament Mode. Rack up enough career goals or wins to unlock cool new teams not available anywhere else. Collect all 24 special trophies as in-game milestones are reached, like the Mmm, Generic Cheese Puffs Trophy thats awarded to those who have won their 250th game.

BUY OUR MASTERPIECES
Keep in mind that if youre obsessed with these funny little jerks, like us, youll want to check out the in-game store where additional teams can be drooled over and purchased. But if you ruin your keyboard or mobile device due to an electrical short circuit, thats your own fault!

FOLLOW US:
twitter.com/Ninth_Dimension

FIND US:
facebook.com/NinthDimensionStudios

FOLLOW OUR FRIENDS:
twitter.com/1M_iPhoneFans

FIND OUR FRIENDS:
facebook.com/OneMillioniPhoneFans

freedog's comments:

06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I was going to buy this but read that some teams have to be purchased.

If they could clarify how many teams are for sale and the cost, that would be great. If there is no way to unlock the teams via play, I might pass.

06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
you gotta admit this does look like a potentially sweet game.

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
06-01-2010, 07:30 PM
It definitely looks great, and if it plays as well as it looks, then it'll definitely be a buy for me...but I have to admit, the DLC does make me pause a little. I'm eager to hear some impressions.
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey All Dev Here,
To answer some of the questions about downloadable content/teams. The game comes pre-loaded with 8 unique teams that you don't have to pay an extra dime for. Two of those 8 need to be unlocked through our achievement system. The only downloadable content is in the games store, where if you choose you can purchase two additional team packs. The store has 4 extra teams sold in bundles of two for .99 cents each. All other game content is fully available when you first open the game, the DLC is just if you enjoy the characters and want to collect them all!

Looking forward to hear your first impressions of the game, enjoy!
-Ninth Dimension Studios

Last edited by NinthDimensionStudios; 06-01-2010 at 08:37 PM.
06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
I know next to nothing about hockey (even though I'm from a hockey town), and would have had no interest on this game were it not for the lovely art and the hilarious 8-bit opening animation. I say that at the outset to make it clear that my opinion is not about how this plays as a hockey game, but how it plays as a game, period. By that measure, this is actually really fun. I've played only one exhibition match so far, and the controls are intuitive enough for me to go at it without even looking at the tutorial. The teams look great, the controls are responsive, the animation is really nice, frame-rate was decent on my 3Gs (had a couple of hiccups, but they came when the game either unlocked achievements or when I got an email in the background), and I even got into a fistfight! It seems that there's much to learn on the tutorial (especially about powerups and special scoring positions).

I should note that on my second match the game crashed on my while an Open-Feint achievement was being unlocked. Hopefully that was just an isolated incident.

Happy with my purchase so far...
06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks squarezero!

So glad you're enjoying the game! We really feel the game holds up as an overall arcade experience and are very happy with your positive input.

With the minor error on the Openfeint Achievement load, if it ever happens again, please let us know via PM or email. We will keep track of any and all input given on the game and address any nagging issues. Our goal is to continue to give you the best game experience possible.

See you on the leaderboard!
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthDimensionStudios View Post
With the minor error on the Openfeint Achievement load, if it ever happens again, please let us know via PM or email. We will keep track of any and all input given on the game and address any nagging issues.
Will do...
06-01-2010, 08:42 PM
best hockey game in the store?
06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokenchain33 View Post
best hockey game in the store?
Well...that is a really short list.