★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How do you like to control games?

02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
How do you like to control games?

I recently downloaded a game which got me frustrated a little bit due to the way it was controlled.

So my question to those who play games on their device is:

What type of controls do you like in the game?

There are many types of controls in games, such as; Joy Sticks, D-Pads, Sliding, Tapping, Tilting, and other ways.

My favorite way to control a game depends on the type of game.

-If it is a retro game such as Pacman, I like to use the joy stick type of control.
-Though if it is a game such as Pocket Sports Football I like to use the D-Pad for better controlling.
-However, if it is a racing game such as Fastlane I like to use tilting to control it, and touching to make the gas / breaks go.
-Last but not least, I like to use a control stick like on Hero of Sparta for fighting games like that. How ever some fighting games I like to use d-pads like on Bomber Online, or Zombieville.

So I ask you, What type of control is it you like? Explain.

Reminder:
Get:
NEX, Real Racing, Need for speed, etc. When released.
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
i like to have multiple options for controlling them

i enjoy Drop Ship's controls a lot

i suck at using the tilt in most games except for 2079 and blue attack

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !

02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I guess it all depends on what game it is. For things like Snail Mail, I prefer touch, but for things like Ferrari GT I prefer the accelerometer. It just depends really.
02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce25r624 View Post

My thoughts exactly. I really like Dropship because you can start the motion anywhere as long as it's on one side of the screen.

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
02-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Quote:

I suck at the ones that have an insane type of tilt. If you don't know what I mean, well... I mean that game which you have to hold your iPhone upside down completely in order to move up or down.

Reminder:
Get:
NEX, Real Racing, Need for speed, etc. When released.
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I like iDracula's controls. Not exactly like Dropships, because the rings move in dropshop. I like how iDracula's wheel things stay put.
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Depends where I am. If I'm in public I like simple swiping or tapping games.

I'll play more demanding tilt controlled games while I'm at home in a comfy chair or something

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
Quote:
Originally Posted by iScarFace View Post
I suck at the ones that have an insane type of tilt. If you don't know what I mean, well... I mean that game which you have to hold your iPhone upside down completely in order to move up or down.
it seemed to help a lot on rolando to tilt it down that much... but then it's a pain in the butt

whatever happened to calibration ?!

polished my ass ! come on

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote:

Same here. I generally hate accelerometer-only games, although some games 'feel' ok with it (Blue Attack comes to mind) ... For touch controls, Dropship's implementation is awesome, as is Snail Mail for racing and Bomberman for d-pad.
02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Quote:
it seemed to help a lot on rolando to tilt it down that much... but then it's a pain in the butt

whatever happened to calibration ?!

polished my ass ! come on

I held my touch at a 90 degree angle once. the little circles still moved like mollasses.