★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: !!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!!

Based on the best-selling Fighting Fantasy gamebook system, The Shamutanti Hills is Book One in Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series. Your epic quest will take you across the mysterious hills to the cityport of Kharé, but only if you outwit the creatures, traps and wizardry you encounter along the way.
Play as either a warrior or as a wizard. If you choose wizardry, your survival will depend on your knowledge of the Sorcery! Spell Book's darkest secrets. With many other unique features to discover, Sorcery! is a true challenge for novice and veteran adventurers alike.

Each book in the Sorcery! series is a complete adventure you dont need to have read a previous book to move on to the next.
The Shamutanti Hills iPhone App stays true to the original book, using Steve Jacksons original text and John Blanches iconic illustrations. This highly anticipated iPhone App combines the user-friendly features of an e-book, with a new level of gamebook excitement.
Fighting Fantasy fans will love the classic story and original illustrations with a technological twist; No more dice, pencils, or bookmarks. All the special features are built in!

Intro splash screen
Tap the on-screen buttons to flip pages
Save and resume adventure
Audio spot effects
Dice roll with or without motion sensor
Page change animation
High resolution artwork with colour treatment
Unique Spell Casting ability, exclusive to the Sorcery! series

Please leave feature feedback, fixes and requests via the in App feedback option where we can get back to you directly for improvements (hasty reviews are not always as helpful, thank you in advance).
06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Awesome! I can still remember spending months trying to finish the last/fourth book! As far as I remember this is a "hardcore" serie, much more challenging than most Fighting Fantasy books. I wonder if it plays as well as the other books released by Big Blue Bubble? Great stuff!

Mission Europa 2 is coming!!!

06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh gosh, that makes my day! I' just tried it for a few sec and the menus and general feel of the app are gorgeous. But I need a refresher course of the spellbook before beginning the adventure.

I'm just afraid there isn't any option to turn the dicerolls off...
06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Just got it, I'll play for awhile and leave some feedback later.

Edit: I'm pretty happy with it! It has a nice presentation/interface, decent tutorial, you can take notes and it's even got a map! The text scrolls up and down, dice animations are only during combat and you can skip them. It feels like a well polished gamebook, not much to complain about except for a few things. Some buttons are really small (items) and not very responsive, I could see how some people would prefer bigger fonts and different backgrounds, but I'm happy with it. Some typos as well, but overall I'm loving it!

Mission Europa 2 is coming!!!

Last edited by MrSpud; 06-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Game Impressions

I spent some time with the game and I really love it.

I won't comment on the book itself, if you have not read it already, it is one of the finest series ever written. If you're even only remotely interested in gamebooks, just read this before anything else.

The app is actually great. Interface is beautiful, very "clean" and polished, even the buttons in general seem a bit unresponsive. Apart from that, it's a work of art in presentation. Artworks are appearing exactly like they do in the FF apps (zoom + progressive colorization), which I kind of hate since I find the artworks to be much more striking in ther black and white versions. the fight interface is simply gorgeous, with dices thrown on a wooden surface and all informations beautifully given. Fights can be really quick if you keep on tapping the screen, that's quite welcome.

The app follows the rules of the book and shut the access to the spell book once a new adventure has begun, forcing you to memorize the spell before the beginning.

There is very little music, just ambient loops here and there, with very discreet effects that just create the mood without being too imposing.

And I've not yet encountered any bugs or dead links.

If I where to rate this app compared to the other gamebooks on the appstore purely based on presentation, I would rate it a bit above the Tin Man Games, and well above the FF games.
06-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Holy crap, I was playing Deathtrap Dungeon and I was thinking of writing to the devs to suggest the Sorcery series... and here it is

Is anyone having trouble downloading it? When I click purchase it gives the message "This item is currently being modified. Please try again later."
06-03-2010, 10:04 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
on sale for $1.99
06-03-2010, 10:06 PM
How much did it cost this morning?
06-03-2010, 10:07 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
how much did it cost this morning?
06-03-2010, 10:07 PM

I feel the pain of the first rush adopters..