★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hamster House (free for a limited time)

02-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Hamster House (free for a limited time)

http://appshopper.com/games/hamster-house

Looks good and the biggest complaint in the reviews were the controls but the update that just came out for it says "Improved controls" so hopefully that issue is improved.
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Aren't they the devs that also put out Chop Sushi or Sushi City (I forget the name) that was free the other day?
If so, this would hopefully be better than that match 3 game. One of the worst, if not the worst I've played on the Touch. Pure garbage in terms of control

I'll wait to see if anyone has anything positive to say about this before wasting more time...
Anyone? Anyone? Beuller...Beuller...

02-23-2009, 08:58 AM
There is a thread about it here and basically the same was said in the reviews in the app store, the controls were a problem at the time but hopefully they were actually fixed.
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
deleted, forgot to quote. read that
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post
Aren't they the devs that also put out Chop Sushi or Sushi City (I forget the name) that was free the other day?
If so, this would hopefully be better than that match 3 game. One of the worst, if not the worst I've played on the Touch. Pure garbage in terms of control

I'll wait to see if anyone has anything positive to say about this before wasting more time...
Anyone? Anyone? Beuller...Beuller...

i heard chop sushi was really good, not sushi city.
02-23-2009, 09:53 AM
yep, sushi city was a cheap clone of the good one, I guess.
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
yep, sushi city was a cheap clone of the good one, I guess.
Sushi city came out over a month before Chop Sushi.

But I agree, it's not nearly as good; it's just not a clone.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I've tried the game, and have so far played through 2 (of 6 maybe) levels.

It seems like it is reasonably big, and it seems like the levels will all need to be visited several times as you gain new skills, and can explore more of the previously inaccessible areas.

The graphics are really nice, with a nice pixel look to them. They have a very cool dialog system where you see the characters with speech bubbles above their heads.

The controls do need work though, it seems like multi touch isn't enabled or something.

Also the menus are very small, but can be navigated via touch or the on screen d-pad.

Shen
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post
I've tried the game, and have so far played through 2 (of 6 maybe) levels.

It seems like it is reasonably big, and it seems like the levels will all need to be visited several times as you gain new skills, and can explore more of the previously inaccessible areas.

The graphics are really nice, with a nice pixel look to them. They have a very cool dialog system where you see the characters with speech bubbles above their heads.

The controls do need work though, it seems like multi touch isn't enabled or something.

Also the menus are very small, but can be navigated via touch or the on screen d-pad.

Shen
is there a way to hide the controls area like showed in the screenshots?
02-23-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm downloading right now, so i'll post back a review instead of just saying it's good or bad... that way people know what they're getting in to..

then again it's FREE so we all should download it :P

Well here's my feelings on the app so far..

I've completed the first level, which seems to just be a tutorial.. The graphics aren't very good, and are kind of hard on the eyes.. It's not really...fun to look at. The controls are awkward too.. Instead of holding the game landscape, you're forced to hold it in an awkward upright position, so your thumbs feel cramped. At some points the action button (usually jump) doesn't seem to work...

It does have a pretty good story line, so if you could get past the controls and graphics, I could see you trying to get into this.. There are missions to run, and you can even get other hamsters to build up your house apparently according to a rat that i guess is my friend ?!! and some guy who's selling derivatives?

The most annoying thing is that I can't figure out how to fight an enemy... i've played it thus far because you can just kind of run through them and get hurt, but at least make it to the end. As the levels get harder though you can't be that aggressive, but you'd think there was a way to fight them or something!

Probably steer away from this game at this point, i'm going to play it for a while, but i'm not holding my breath. It does get some points because this is the first game i think i've seen that has a Quit option, that if you click it takes you back to your home screen.. that's pretty neat!

3/5

Plus+ ID: Wegmans

Last edited by Wegmans; 02-23-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: downloaded and played