★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iFishing video

10-15-2008, 09:45 AM
iFishing video

I've created a video of Rocking Pocket Games' next game, iFishing: The Mobile Fishing Simulator.

Fans of iFish or Hooked: Pocket Fishing may want to check this out.

iFishing is nearing completion and should be finished by the end of October.

Comments and suggestions are welcome
10-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I just love competition, and no, not because it makes prices competitive. It's really helping developers to one-up the last concept of the previous version of a game. Hooked is a great game. But iFishing is a game that stands on its owns merits as the type of game that you can have with Hooked and be satisfied that you don't own two copies of the virtually the same game. This is what the App Store should be about. I'm getting it, and thank you Rocking Pocket - I'll be there on opening day to swoop your game up.

10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello RPGGuy. This looks FANTASTIC! My friend is a keen fisherman, and I like playing the games, and I know we will both love this.
However, the graphics when you are controlling the boat around the lake don't really match the quality of the graphics when you are actually fishing. I would like it if you could make the colours a little more realistic (darker and murkier water, and darker grass etc) at least to help. The problem I had with the video itself is we can't see what you are doing at the bottom of the screen with the reel control, as you aren't holding the device high enough. So, some questions-
1) When you are not in a tournament, is there still a time limit?
2) How does the tournament work?
3) Can you pick from various rods/reels/bait?
4) We can see how the casting works, but as we can't see what's happening at the bottom of the device in the video, can you please explain how the reeling in works.

I really like the idea of taking a photo of the fish- especially being able to use one of the photo's in your library (my friend will have one taken with him in all his fishing gear for this!). I also like how the fishing rod reacts to the fish when reeling in. Do you have to tilt left and right to stop the fish getting away/breaking the line?

Looks amazing. Can't wait for this.
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Looking great, I'm getting it.

How much will it be? Don't follow the other devs style of releasing an app at a high price then marking it down after 2 days. Instead, give us early adopters the sale price and then boost it up *wink*.

Last edited by dudehuge; 10-15-2008 at 02:14 PM.
10-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Where's he gone? 'Comments and suggestions are welcome' he says, and then buggers off never to be seen again!
10-16-2008, 06:08 AM
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Where's he gone? 'Comments and suggestions are welcome' he says, and then buggers off never to be seen again!
Heh, 'Drive-by Spamming'.
10-16-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
Heh, 'Drive-by Spamming'.
Haha! Good one.
10-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Sorry I was drooling over the new macbooks. :P

1) There is no time limit when you're not in a tournament. You can choose any of the lakes you've unlocked.

2) In tournament mode you can keep 3 fish in your live well. If you have 3 fish already it will automatically throw out the smallest one. When time is up or you decide to quit it will show the results. If you're in the top 3 you'll win between $5000 and $20,000.

3) You can choose different lures (jig, shallow diver, deep diver, topwater, etc) but not line or rods at this point.

4) To reel in there is a slider along the bottom. You just hold your finger in this area to reel. The farther to the right the faster you reel. You don't have to move in a circle like the other fishing games since it isn't important to gameplay.

You have to keep the fish on the screen and within a certain distance from the boat or it will get away. If the line tension is too loose it will get away. If it is too high you'll snap the line. You can raise and lower the rod to add or remove a little bit of line tension.

You can also use a jigging motion to raise the depth of the lure. Fish are more likely to strike when the lure is falling.

As for the lake map, every square on the map has a different probability of catching the fish you're after. For example smallmouth and walleye are likely to hang around rocks, while largemouth can be found in lilypads and weeds. Every time you have a strike the probability of catching another fish is reduced. For fish that school the probability is decreased less than a big predator like a musky. If the probability is below 25% your fishing guide will tell you the place is fished out and you should move to another spot.
This makes it necessary to keep moving around the lake rather than parking in one spot all day.

The background images while fishing reflect where you are on the map, so if you're out in the open or right next to the dock you'll be able to see that.

The game has bluegill, perch, black crappie, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye, and musky.
10-16-2008, 07:49 AM
This is sounding really good RPGGuy. I like the sound of the control mechanics, especially tilting to keep the fish on screen (and seeing that rod bend when the fish is pulling, which is missing on the other apps).
I like how you can pick particular spots on a lake, and that the probability goes down when you catch something etc.
Ideally, like I said before, I would have liked more realistic map graphics, looking more like something from Google Maps for example. But that's just nit-picking. At some point in the future, do you think you may include the choice of rods and perhaps more variety of fish (without going over the top and having sharks etc)?
What kind of price would you be asking for the app?

I have an idea- I noticed you picked a tournament in the video, but there were no other boats in the lake. It might be nice to have 2 or 3, stationary if need be, in random places on the map to give you more of a feeling that you are in a tournament against others. What do you think?

Btw, I like the new Macbooks too (I have a MBP). There is a lot of debate now though about only the Macbook Pro's and the old white Macbook include FireWire- the new Macbooks have removed that port. Still nice though.

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-16-2008 at 07:54 AM.
10-19-2008, 09:27 AM
He's gone again.