★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Upsi Runner - Promo code contest

02-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Upsi Runner - Promo code contest

Hi;

My game Upsi Runner has been out on iTunes for about a week now.

There are a few gameplay and menu videos up on youtube.

I have been talking to people about what they like about the game and what they think needs improving (see thread here). I have implemented quite a few of their ideas for the next build already.

However, 1 of the most frequent criticisms is that the icon doesn't represent the game very well.

I've got a few more promo codes to give away for the current release, and someone suggested it would be interesting to see what the TouchArcade forum members could come up with in terms of icon design ideas.

So there it is - I'm looking for some ideas for icon designs for the game. Keep in mind that the icon needs to be 57x57 pixels, and also have an "identical" 512x512 pixel version, so the design has to work in large and small formats.

Entries should go in the thread (please no pms), and can either be a written description of an idea, or even better a picture or design. In a couple of hours I'll have a look at them all and hand out promo codes to my favorites, no matter if they are serious, awesome, funny or ridiculous.

Shen
02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, i'm really crappy with Gimp, CS and stuff but beware my 1337 PAINT SKILLZORZ!

Nah, but now to be serious. See how i picked up the colors of your snail and the whole atmosphere of the game? Just to show the struggle of a little snail with it's perilous surroundings. Sad, alone and rushed in a world of butterflies, representing everyday bonds through belle society. Yet showing that positive attitude towards life, coping with it's mischief. A masterpiece of post-dadaism.

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog

02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
What about a stylized snail spiral like this?

02-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Butters - I love the rounding you have done on the corners, are you sure you aren't a professional icon designer

MrHolder - Nice design, and it has a sort of New Zealand fern motif going on, which is cool.

Hopefully we can get a few more designs, to reall give you 2 a run for the money.
02-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
I'll make some icons.. As seen in my wallpapers, I have pretty alrite photoshop skills and will make as many as it takes for a promo
Only thing is I can't make them til tonight..

Lockscreen Wallpaper Creator
02-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Paulio - go for it, we aren't going anywhere!
02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
What about just using the snail from the game in it's current format as an icon?

Sure it doesn't look too good in 512x512 but it looks pretty good and slightly retro in 57x57:

This, of course, isn't original in anyway I just took the snail from the screenshot, but it's an idea.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Here are my two entries, these would be more of a proof of concept, tell me if you like any of them and I'll try to make'em better

This second one looks a lot better when it's 57 x 57

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I LOVE IT! you are getting my vote! (mrholder)

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything

Last edited by indyraider4; 02-23-2009 at 07:40 PM.
02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
omg the current icon is creepy

Playing now: Defender Chronicles, Real Racing, Flight Control, and Knights Onrush
Waiting for: Nothing