★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How do you keep games from being auto-added to your sync list?

02-23-2009, 11:32 AM
How do you keep games from being auto-added to your sync list?

I have just the games I want checked on my sync list, and I change it as the mood strikes. I go to the New Games tab here everyday and download every free non-lite game whether it sounds interesting or not (if it turns out good, at least I got in on time ). But it autochecks it when it adds it to iTunes. Any way to have it be added to the app list and not checked?

Thanks!
02-23-2009, 11:49 AM
When your idevice ia connected the summary tab and other tabs... Find the application tab and you can select the apps you want etc..

02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I know

When you buy an app through the PC, it is added to your app list and it's checkmarked so that it's synced next time you connect your device. I want the checkmark off so that it's only synced if I manually add it.
02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I know

When you buy an app through the PC, it is added to your app list and it's checkmarked so that it's synced next time you connect your device. I want the checkmark off so that it's only synced if I manually add it.
I am interested in this as well, but I don't think there is a way to do it. I tried a google search and looking through iTunes. It seems that the app just assumes you want to use the apps you download
02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I have just the games I want checked on my sync list, and I change it as the mood strikes. I go to the New Games tab here everyday and download every free non-lite game whether it sounds interesting or not (if it turns out good, at least I got in on time ). But it autochecks it when it adds it to iTunes. Any way to have it be added to the app list and not checked?

Thanks!
I do the same thing. It would be great to have apps default to unchecked when you download them. I have to write a list and make sure to uncheck them before I sync again or they all get installed.
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
I keep a list in Notepad of my backlog of games "To Be Uninstalled".

Once I connect the iDevice to my PC, I cancel the automatic sync, go to the Applications tab and then uncheck the games that are on my "To Be Uninstalled" list and then move those games to my "Backlog" list.

I don't know of a better method that doesn't check the game upon download, but my solution works well enough for me.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Another problem is if I've erased an app on the iPhone, and then an update comes out for it, and I get the update on iTunes, it applies the checkmark again for syncing, even though I've deleted it already.
02-23-2009, 12:31 PM
what i do is manually sync my apps

yes every new app i download, syncs, and i allow it, i normally test out the app or else i will forget about it
but if i just want to download it and not test it, i let it sync, then on the device, hold down on the icon so it wiggles, and remove it, without giving it a review

and it wont re-sync to my device until i manually re-sync it...and it will auto update without re-syncing as well
02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel View Post
Another problem is if I've erased an app on the iPhone, and then an update comes out for it, and I get the update on iTunes, it applies the checkmark again for syncing, even though I've deleted it already.
Then only delete Applications from iTunes, problem solved.

Never ran into that problem as I only use iTunes to sync and un-sync applications.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc