Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 AM

Just got this game an hour ago and played 2 stages. In a nutshell, if you like Banpresto's Super Robot Wars (a.k.a Super Robot Taisen) you will most probably like this and feel at home. If this series doesn't ring a bell in your mind, genre-wise the closest game I could think of is the transformer game in the AppStore.

I'll start off with the pros:
- Great UI. Contextual commands such as moving a pilot from one point on a map to another feels natural.
- Impressive artwork. The artwork quality found in this game is actually one of the best I've seen thus far even on the consoles.
- Good gameplay, albeit a bit imbalance on the "ability" usage IMHO, which may cause the game to be a little bit too easy (as said I'm only up to the second stage so time will tell). To put it into a standard RPG perspective, "ability" is like magic that consumes "will" (MP). During the second stage my pilot can cast roughly about 50 times of 'heal magic' that could effectively replenish roughly 25% of HP at a time. And the point is I don't even need one in that stage.

EDIT: Turns out that "will" doesn't replenish after each mission, but does replenish gradually after each pilot's turn which actually adds depth to the gameplay mechanics.

- Nice storyline. The storyline seems alright to me and dialogues between the characters are pretty interesting. No sign of Engrish though but don't take my word for it as my mother tongue isn't English
Cons:
- Bland music. Music that plays when you are on the game map sounds bland and doesn't quite blend with the game. Music that plays during a battle sequence on the other hand sounds like a lower bit rate tune.
- Bland map. Map design as mentioned by the other poster is blurred and could use some work.

Overall I enjoyed playing this game for the first few stages. Will update my impression should I find it different down the road.

Last edited by drixz; 06-04-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: clarified "ability" and "will" usage
Old 06-05-2010, 01:07 AM

After completing 4 chapters, I'm really surprised this isn't getting more attention; it's the first story-driven tactical RPG in the app store that plays like a real console title. I would have been happy to have picked this up on the DS or the PSP. I'm really enjoying this.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:02 AM

Yup, I'm enjoying it too. Nice graphics and sound. Overarching story is interesting enough. Characters have anime-style depth. Kinda reminds me of Fire Emblem and Front Mission (the DS versions).

Waiting for the AI to get tougher, but I'm only in the forth chapter.

I like that it has save slots. I'm guessing I'll want to apply upgrades a little differently once I figure them out a bit more.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemac View Post
Yup, I'm enjoying it too. Nice graphics and sound. Overarching story is interesting enough. Characters have anime-style depth. Kinda reminds me of Fire Emblem and Front Mission (the DS versions).

Waiting for the AI to get tougher, but I'm only in the forth chapter.

I like that it has save slots. I'm guessing I'll want to apply upgrades a little differently once I figure them out a bit more.
In a way, I don't mind it that the AI hasn't been "killer"; you are supposed
to be a crew of great heroes, so it's not surprising that you are kicking ass. In any event, it still feels like the game is just starting.

I really like the upgrade system -- you collect minerals after combat and can use them to improve your Mecha's armor, energy, etc. The cool thing is that they're shared by all members of your squad, so you have to choose which ones to upgrade and to what extent. There are also enhancements that can be equipped; you could give them one mecha in one mission and give them to another for the next one.

One funny thing is that the traslation of the dialog seems to have been done by a much better translator than the one on the story intro -- it would be great if they fixed that in an update. It would also be great if they made an iPhone version: this game deserves a much wider audience.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
iPad

This sounds like a game I'd like, anyone seen a gameplay video somewhere?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Nobody interested a wee bit in this?
/me

Old 06-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chod View Post
This sounds like a game I'd like, anyone seen a gameplay video somewhere?
I just registered at the developer's site to request a video and to let them know about this thread. I haven't been able to find a video on YouTube, though I assume that there must be one since this is clearly a port of an older console or handheld game.

If you're into Anime or tactical RPGs, you definitely want to pick this up. The interface is very responsive, movement and combat is fast, character graphics are well done. The whole thing feels like a very professional package.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Ok... So I popped in yesterday. Nobody.

Pop in again today and SZ's stamp of approval is all over the place.

Buying now.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Ok... So I popped in yesterday. Nobody.

Pop in again today and SZ's stamp of approval is all over the place.

Buying now.
Funny thing is, a couple of days ago I was having an exchange with Edoku about the fact that we needed an RPG like this on the iDevice. And voilą, there it is.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

But too low profile release don't you think?

Doesn't help that the game is iPad only.