★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: 5 out of 5 Dimples by AppSmile!
5 out of 5 Stars by AppVader!
Tons of great iTunes Reviews!
___________________________________
From AppSmile:
We hope to see more game style ingenuity like this in the App Store. The developer took three elements, dice, poker, and diving and blended them into a successfully entertaining app that we never saw coming. After learning the ropes in the demo video, we think Dice Diving will hold the interest of any gamer like it has ours. We award Dice Diving a 1, 2, and 2 roll to make 5-Dimples.

Checkout the full review on their website at www.appsmile.com
___________________________________
From AppVader:

Innovative, interesting and a total time killer. Theres absolutely nothing to not love about Dice Diving.

Checkout the full review on their website at: appvader.com
___________________________________

Dice Diving is a new game twist on the classic game of yacht that combines the excitement of competitive high-diving with the thrill of poker-style hand making.

Just as in high-diving, Dice Diving pushes the player to focus both on the degree of difficulty and individual judging of the dive. Using five dice the player is required to complete specific hands that represent the 3 elements of a high-dive difficulty, including the approach, the flight and the entry. At the same time, while trying to complete the difficulty, the player must also complete five free-play hands representing the five different judges.

Gameplay is quick and challenging. With a limited number of rolls, players are forced to make critical decisions balancing the pursuit of the best poker hand for the highest judges scores or completing the mandatory elements in the dive's difficulty.

By achieving both in 31 separate events plus 5 bonus events, the player will be awarded with bronze, silver or gold medals and if they are good enough, they will stand alone as the world record holder against all of the dice diving community.

Feature Highlights:
* A new and original dice gaming concept
* Beautifully crafted 3D & 2D dice and professional board design
* Solid, pleasant sound effects
* Local achievements and online world records across 31 events and 5 bonus events
* Fast, competitive gameplay
* In-game instructional video

Sounds easy? Well, it is easy to pick up and play. A single dive event match only takes a couple of minutes to play, but the high speed competition will take time to master. Are you good enough to capture the world record against other players! Theres only one way to find out!

Search for "Dice Diving" on YouTube for Video Demo or go to www.fogislandgames.com for a video link and more information.

carnivore's comments:


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

anybody interested in this? judging from the third and fourth screenshot this might be something along the lines of yahtzee but i am still not sure.

oh and sorry if there is a thread, but the searchfunction didn't come up with anything...
06-06-2010, 01:30 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivore View Post
anybody interested in this? judging from the third and fourth screenshot this might be something along the lines of yahtzee but i am still not sure.

oh and sorry if there is a thread, but the searchfunction didn't come up with anything...
Hi Carnivore,

My name is Larry Snyder and the game designer behind Dice Diving. I just did a search of the game and saw this post, so I hope you don't mind that I reply to you.

One could say that the game is like yahtzee in the concept that you are rolling dice to complete poker hands. However, it differs greatly in the way the game is scored.

Using the diving theme, your total score is your dive difficulty * the top 3 Judges. The dive difficulty is determined by 3 set hands that you must complete:
1) The Approach: A 3-of-a-kind in a certain number
2) The Flight: A set poker hand
3) The Entry: The sum of the 5 dice exceeding a set value

There are 5 judges, of which only the top 3 scores count. The scores are based on any poker hand, but the better the hand, the better the score.

In the early rounds it's easy to make the dives, but later the dives become more difficult plus you have to complete multiple dives to move on. What makes it fun is that balancing act between going for a good judge score vs going for the dive elements.

I have youtube video that showcases the game that you might want to checkout at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kHI_MEyIgI

Let me know if you have any other questions. Later I'll be updating the app for 2 Players, the game center, more bonus dives and new dice to pick from.

Thanks for checking the game out!

06-06-2010, 01:42 PM
#3
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 702
Sounds intriguing. Can't pick it up right now, but will probably get it soon and try it out. Would like to hear from anyone else who tries it out.
06-06-2010, 02:30 PM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,779
It actually looks like an innovative take on the basic Yahtzee gameplay but with much more clever/varied strategy to the scoring! I just grabbed it and will report my findings.

If it makes any difference, here is that video above all nicely embedded:


Youtube link | Pop Up

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
#5
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: germany
Posts: 195
hi larry,
thank you for your fast reply, the instructions and the video. your post really helped to clear things up. after seeing the tutorial video i almost feel like this is somewhat a crossover of lock&roll and yahtzee (which actually is a rather big compliment imo). i'll be definitely getting this tonight so you just won yourself a new customer.
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
#6
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,779
I'm currently #1 in Small Straight and the Running Jump...somebody please knock me out before I get all cocky!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-06-2010, 06:45 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm currently #1 in Small Straight and the Running Jump...somebody please knock me out before I get all cocky!
So, it this fun and easy to get into? I love playing Golo Golf on the iPhone because it is so simple but this does look interesting.
06-07-2010, 11:50 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: germany
Posts: 195
rules might seem to be a bit overwhelming for some people in the begining but actually this is really easy to get into. i'm having great fun and i will be playing this for some days even though i have to admit that i don't see myself coming back to this on a daily basis after that. this was still worth the purchase.
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 30
Hey thanks for checking out the game everyone! LordGek, a special thank you for the review on iTunes! That was nice surprise for me and I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I do have some additional plans for upcoming releases. My main thoughts are creating a two player version (both in pass the phone and WiFi), adding a new series of bonus challenges that have requirements for "All Odds or All Evens", and releasing additional dice.

I'm also planning on connecting with Apple's new Game Center and setting up weekly challenges and achievements.

Finally, I will plan an iPad release with a new layout that can take advantage of the larger screen size. Plus, with the announcement today I'll be upgrading the graphics to the higher resolution for anyone buying the new iPhone.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. One of my goals was to create a game that was quick to jump into and quick to play, but still be a lot of fun. With the 2 Player, I'm struggling if I should have players complete in preset events (fast setup) or if they should build their own dive lists (slow setup). On paper, building the dive list was a lot of fun, but when I went to the iPhone it can be time-consuming. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on which is more needed, more challenges or 2+ players?

Thanks again everyone!
06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA, USA
Posts: 11,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
Hey thanks for checking out the game everyone! LordGek, a special thank you for the review on iTunes! That was nice surprise for me and I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I do have some additional plans for upcoming releases. My main thoughts are creating a two player version (both in pass the phone and WiFi), adding a new series of bonus challenges that have requirements for "All Odds or All Evens", and releasing additional dice.

I'm also planning on connecting with Apple's new Game Center and setting up weekly challenges and achievements.

Finally, I will plan an iPad release with a new layout that can take advantage of the larger screen size. Plus, with the announcement today I'll be upgrading the graphics to the higher resolution for anyone buying the new iPhone.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know. One of my goals was to create a game that was quick to jump into and quick to play, but still be a lot of fun. With the 2 Player, I'm struggling if I should have players complete in preset events (fast setup) or if they should build their own dive lists (slow setup). On paper, building the dive list was a lot of fun, but when I went to the iPhone it can be time-consuming. Any thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on which is more needed, more challenges or 2+ players?

Thanks again everyone!
No problem Lars, it's a cool game and I REALLY love the concept of the Judges which function as a VERY ADVANCED form of Yahtzee's Chance (sure you can use anything but if it's crap, they'll let you know in no uncertain terms).

As a solo player I'd love to see more Challenges, not concerned about multi-player.

While not sure if this would ruin the Olympic vibe, I'd really like it if users can do at least the good ol' three letter initials with their scores so we'd see:

1. GEK 65.34
2. EMF 65.23
3. QHH 63.11
107. NYL 45.04

As this would just make it a little easier to find ones own score and be able to recognize if it's a pal that just beat your formerly #1 score. I'm happy enough with just three letters as it keeps it almost like officious country code and, if allowing some 12 characters, it might be hard to keep stuff all nice and neat with names varying from 1 to 12 characters long.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews