★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Nanosaur 2

10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
#1
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 147
Nanosaur 2

I think i would have bought this game based on the premise alone - Dinosaurs from the future (with guns) travel into the past to fight robots and other dinosaurs (that don't have guns).

I've only had a little while to play it, but so far i'm pretty impressed. It's kind of close to that "Star Fox" style shooter we've all been dreaming about, except you have free roaming instead of being stuck on a rail.

Instant death from bumping into objects (trees, rocks) is annoying, but the controls seem to work pretty well. You can turn on a tight radius in a pinch, so proper navigation ability will probably come with time.

Graphics are nice, if a little muddy and foggy. The frame rate is more then adequate, and I was surprised to see little details like trees catching flame under my laser fire and burning to stumps. The dinosaurs wandering the environment are impressively rendered, though scientifically inaccurate (but considering the premise of the game, science is going out the window).

Wondering if anyone else took the plunge and had feelings about the title? I've been on the fence about Pangea, not particularly impressed/disgusted with their offerings, but Nanosaur has left me pleasantly surprised.
10-15-2008, 12:23 PM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
I think i would have bought this game based on the premise alone - Dinosaurs from the future (with guns) travel into the past to fight robots and other dinosaurs (that don't have guns).
I have to agree. How could you not be sold on this game after reading the description?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	36   Click image for larger version

Name:	Holyidinosaur.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	37  

10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 259
I too am surprised by this game, as noted in a previous Nanosaur post. The flying is pretty darn accurate. My only gripe, which seems to be a big one, according to most criticisms, is the lack of a save feature. I don't necessarily have an hour block of time to complete a level (I played for over thirty minutes yesterday and didn't even get close, maybe because I was enjoying the freedom of flying too much). Anyways, if it only has three levels, as someone previously mentioned in the earlier post, then I'm gonna be a bit bummed, because, again, now I'll have to sit down for three long periods of play. Then, the game's over. I'd much rather sit down for six or twelve shorter sessions because, subconsciously, it would make me feel like the game had some lasting value to it. Nevertheless, I'll still enjoy it though, although I hope Pangea adds this feature in the near future.
10-15-2008, 12:40 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK, dull corner of the world
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidovich View Post
I too am surprised by this game, as noted in a previous Nanosaur post. The flying is pretty darn accurate. My only gripe, which seems to be a big one, according to most criticisms, is the lack of a save feature. I don't necessarily have an hour block of time to complete a level (I played for over thirty minutes yesterday and didn't even get close, maybe because I was enjoying the freedom of flying too much). Anyways, if it only has three levels, as someone previously mentioned in the earlier post, then I'm gonna be a bit bummed, because, again, now I'll have to sit down for three long periods of play. Then, the game's over. I'd much rather sit down for six or twelve shorter sessions because, subconsciously, it would make me feel like the game had some lasting value to it. Nevertheless, I'll still enjoy it though, although I hope Pangea adds this feature in the near future.
Oh no, not again! Didn't Pangea learn from Bugdom 2? I know I wasn't the only one to moan about Bugdoms lack of an in-level save (you had to complete the 30 minute levels before you could save), and it looks like Pangea haven't taken any notice of the complaints. I emailed them about Bugdoms controls and lack of save option, and they responded about the control. I asked them again about the save option and had no response, and they still haven't done anything with it. All they are interested in is porting these games over to the iPhone as soon as possible to get the money, and it doesn't look like this developer wants to listen to it's customers' requests. Count me out of buying this game, and any future game from Pangea. I am not a fan anymore.
10-15-2008, 12:56 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 893
Wow, completely forgot about nanosaur... I remember playing this on my sister's iBook G4 when she first got it. I like the game so far but it did crash my iPod at first, which sucks. But I rebooted like it said to and it's fine now.
10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
All they are interested in is porting these games over to the iPhone as soon as possible to get the money, and it doesn't look like this developer wants to listen to it's customers' requests.
I'm taking a agree/disagree stance on that opinion. Pangea's games for the most part, are OK. Not terrible. They seem to fall between the efforts of a single developer and something from a major studio, so i think the pricing is a major thing to take into consideration here.

App store pricing is competitive to the point of being somewhat ridiculous. It feels like most every game that comes out plummets in price in a few days or less. If you look at Pangea's website, you can see that the price of the desktop versions of these games is in the range of $10-$20, so they significantly undercut themselves to have their games on the iphone platform.

I've played some really terrible, buggy, incomplete games on my iphone, sometimes purchased for prices comparable to Pangea's offerings. Nanosaur is a solid, full featured, and fun game. The lack of a save anywhere feature is regrettable, but i wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Maybe if this game was up for $10 (which it could have been, easily) i would have been more annoyed by this, but for $4, i'm willing to let it slide.

I think we've all thrown money away on much worse games from the app store, for $4 your not going to be able to find much better then this title.
10-15-2008, 01:16 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Birmingham, UK, dull corner of the world
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
The lack of a save anywhere feature is regrettable, but i wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Maybe if this game was up for $10 (which it could have been, easily) i would have been more annoyed by this, but for $4, i'm willing to let it slide.

I think we've all thrown money away on much worse games from the app store, for $4 your not going to be able to find much better then this title.
I disagree. I only spent a small amount on Bugdom 2- doesn't mean I'm ok with how frustrating the game became after a few levels. I haven't played it in ages as it has been removed from my device, and probably will stay that way, as it looks like an update isn't coming any time soon. For me, price doesn't come into it as far as my complaint goes. If you can't save during a 30+ minute level, I don't want to know.
10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
I'm taking a agree/disagree stance on that opinion. Pangea's games for the most part, are OK. Not terrible. They seem to fall between the efforts of a single developer and something from a major studio, so i think the pricing is a major thing to take into consideration here.

App store pricing is competitive to the point of being somewhat ridiculous. It feels like most every game that comes out plummets in price in a few days or less. If you look at Pangea's website, you can see that the price of the desktop versions of these games is in the range of $10-$20, so they significantly undercut themselves to have their games on the iphone platform.

I've played some really terrible, buggy, incomplete games on my iphone, sometimes purchased for prices comparable to Pangea's offerings. Nanosaur is a solid, full featured, and fun game. The lack of a save anywhere feature is regrettable, but i wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. Maybe if this game was up for $10 (which it could have been, easily) i would have been more annoyed by this, but for $4, i'm willing to let it slide.

I think we've all thrown money away on much worse games from the app store, for $4 your not going to be able to find much better then this title.
I couldn't agree more. Although like wastedyuthe, the save function, will be a welcome addition! PANGEA I know that you frequent this forum! GET TO IT!

Last edited by dudehuge; 10-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
All they are interested in is porting these games over to the iPhone as soon as possible to get the money
Actually I don't know if this was already mentioned, but that isn't true. See here:

http://theapper.wordpress.com/2008/1...ngea-software/

looks like they will be making new games after finishing porting games
10-15-2008, 03:00 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by break5 View Post
Actually I don't know if this was already mentioned, but that isn't true. See here:

http://theapper.wordpress.com/2008/1...ngea-software/

looks like they will be making new games after finishing porting games
Sounds to me like they are just getting it over with, in regards to porting, and will not update these apps