★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's with the OpenFient hate?

06-07-2010, 01:02 AM
What's with the OpenFient hate?

I mean I never use it but I have noticed an extreme amount of hate for it on these forums. Why is that?
06-07-2010, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephilim apps View Post
I mean I never use it but I have noticed an extreme amount of hate for it on these forums. Why is that?
I'm quite the fan of OpenFeint

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

06-07-2010, 02:04 AM
I like it and I've never seen Anyone complain about it on here

I don't see the point in signatures..... So here's a gun to keep you entertained *""
06-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Because it makes the icon ugly, especially when you have a lot of OF icons on one page. Looks like my iPhone is sponsored by OF or something.

More importantly it's clunky. Maybe not the case with third gen devices, but on my iPhone 3G whenever I unlock an achievement with OF, the game lags for a second. It happens on almost every game: Mega Jump, Pocket Creatures, Zombie Pizza, everything. Never like that with local achievement.

That said, if it indeed can save and retrieve our data from their server like in the case of Minigore, then I suppose I can live with it. Just as long as the icon isn't ugly, lol.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
06-07-2010, 03:10 AM
1. It ruins the game icon
2. The screen that appears when you first play
3. The fact you say you do not want it yet the icon and the nagging to join OF continues when you get any high scores
4. That it is being added to games as a selling point when it does not enhance the game
5. It's an ad.

Desired:
Game opens, I say No to OF and two things happen:
1. The icon reverts to the state the designer intended
2. At no point at all in the game anywhere do I see that symbol or those words.
06-07-2010, 03:10 AM
It's not Open Feint-hate, it's icon fetishism.
I bet some people get sexually aroused by a good looking iDevice icon page.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 06-07-2010 at 04:34 AM.
06-07-2010, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markx2 View Post
1. It ruins the game icon
2. The screen that appears when you first play
3. The fact you say you do not want it yet the icon and the nagging to join OF continues when you get any high scores
4. That it is being added to games as a selling point when it does not enhance the game
5. It's an ad.

Desired:
Game opens, I say No to OF and two things happen:
1. The icon reverts to the state the designer intended
2. At no point at all in the game anywhere do I see that symbol or those words.
It would seem that if you are so dispassioned concerning OpenFeint, you would just avoid games that incorporate it.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
06-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
It would seem that if you are so dispassioned concerning OpenFeint, you would just avoid games that incorporate it.
I do.

And it's not an icon fetish. It's about me wanting to beat my own high scores without being nagged to join something that will not add to my experience at all. The icon is basically saying "Play against everybody and beat them" and I just don't want to.

But no, that icon means I'll almost certainly not buy the game.
06-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markx2 View Post
I do.

And it's not an icon fetish. It's about me wanting to beat my own high scores without being nagged to join something that will not add to my experience at all. The icon is basically saying "Play against everybody and beat them" and I just don't want to.

But no, that icon means I'll almost certainly not buy the game.

You've missed quite a bunch of good games.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
06-07-2010, 04:57 AM
My girlfriend absolutely loves achievements, she has started playing games without them. She will always choose a game with OF over anything.

Invaders Must Die.