★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The War of Eustrath: a tactical SRPG for iPhone/iPod Touch

06-07-2010, 08:27 PM
The War of Eustrath: a tactical SRPG for iPhone/iPod Touch

Released a few days ago on the iPad, The War of Eustrath has quickly distinguished itself as the only turn-based, story-driven, tactical JRPG available in the App Store. I'm sure that big fans of games like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Taisen may find it a bit middle-of the-road, but considering how few games like this there are on the platform, The War of Eustrath came as something of a revelation. I've been playing this for many hours, and can say that, while not perfect (what game is?), it's easily one of my favorite purchases of the year.

Thanks to Eduku, we now have some news from the developer:

Quote:
Thank you Eduku for your interest in our game.

We are very happy to let you know that we ARE preparing the iPhone version. And it will be released before the end of this summer.

Thank you very much .

Sincerely
iqubi inc.
Needless to say, I think this is great news for iPhone/iPod Touch RPG gamers.

I'm including the App Info of the iPad version to give people an idea about the game. I'm been meaning to shoot some video but I haven't had the chance yet: when I do, I'll post it both here and in the iPad section thread.

06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
hmm does remind me of Super Robot Taisen, interesting...

/l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ

06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I've never heard of it until now, but I think I'll be picking the iPod version up when it's released. It reminds me of Fire Emblem, my favorite strategy game after Advance Wars. Plus, it sounds like one of the few iPhone games with a good storyline, so I'll definitely get this.
06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
All I can say is hell yes! I saw this on the ipad releases and simply thought Fire Emblem on the iPad. Which I dont have. I'm really happy this is coming to the iPod. The screenshots look great and Fire Emblem was my favorite game on the Gameboy. Can't wait!
06-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
I've never heard of it until now, but I think I'll be picking the iPod version up when it's released. It reminds me of Fire Emblem, my favorite strategy game after Advance Wars. Plus, it sounds like one of the few iPhone games with a good storyline, so I'll definitely get this.
Most people haven't, which is a shame. I don't think the story is going to win any awards (it's pretty soapy and melodramatic) but it does get you to care about the character and provides a decent context for the action. The standouts here are the combat and leveling systems, which are both deep and easy to understand. The controls are excellent too, and you can play a single mission for 45 minutes or so and be entertained throughout. (At 50 missions, plus alternate endings, I'm guessing there's about 20-30 hours of gameplay).

We'll see how they manage to cram the interface into the much smaller iPhone/iPod screen. I also hope that they work on the English localization -- the dialog is okay, but the opening intro is pretty bad.
06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Most people haven't, which is a shame. I don't think the story is going to win any awards (it's pretty soapy and melodramatic) but it does get you to care about the character and provides a decent context for the action. The standouts here are the combat and leveling systems, which are both deep and easy to understand. The controls are excellent too, and you can play a single mission for 45 minutes or so and be entertained throughout. (At 50 missions, plus alternate endings, I'm guessing there's about 20-30 hours of gameplay).

We'll see how they manage to cram the interface into the much smaller iPhone/iPod screen. I also hope that they work on the English localization -- the dialog is okay, but the opening intro is pretty bad.
Oh God... is this one of those "All your base are belong to us" moments?

But I'll still be picking this up regardless. Considering I've scrapped my plans for an iPad after hearing that the iPhone 4 will be $200 for a 16gb, and that my current phone is sorta messed up, I'll be getting the iPhone 4, so this is great news for me.
06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Oh God... is this one of those "All your base are belong to us" moments?

But I'll still be picking this up regardless. Considering I've scrapped my plans for an iPad after hearing that the iPhone 4 will be $200 for a 16gb, and that my current phone is sorta messed up, I'll be getting the iPhone 4, so this is great news for me.
Let's just say I've seen worse, but I've definitely seen better. As I mentioned, the dialog is not that bad; there's just a short intro after the first mission that's pretty bad. Considering that it took me about 3 minutes to read it, and I've been playing for 5 hours plus so far, it's a pretty small part of the overall experience.
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Let's just say I've seen worse, but I've definitely seen better. As I mentioned, the dialog is not that bad; there's just a short intro after the first mission that's pretty bad. Considering that it took me about 3 minutes to read it, and I've been playing for 5 hours plus so far, it's a pretty small part of the overall experience.
Hang on, are you playing the iPhone version, or do you have an iPad? I don't recall you ever mentioning you having an iPad before.

But it's definitely a good game, right? I just don't want to get it and be disappointed.
06-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Hang on, are you playing the iPhone version, or do you have an iPad? I don't recall you ever mentioning you having an iPad before.

But it's definitely a good game, right? I just don't want to get it and be disappointed.
I got an iPad. And yes, I think it's a great game -- as I said, one of my favorite so far this year. I just don't want to mislead anyone into thinking the story itself is great. I remark upon it because there are so few tactical games in the App Store that are actually story driven (I think of Rogue Planet, Battle for Wesnoth, Command and Conquer, Mecho War, etc as strategic, rather than tactical).
06-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote:
I got an iPad. And yes, I think it's a great game -- as I said, one of my favorite so far this year. I just don't want to mislead anyone into thinking the story itself is great. I remark upon it because there are so few tactical games in the App Store that are actually story driven (I think of Rogue Planet, Battle for Wesnoth, Command and Conquer, Mecho War, etc as strategic, rather than tactical).
Yeah, so it's more of a character-based strategy is what you're saying? From the sounds of things, it's similar to Fire Emblem (as you already mentioned) and compares most closely to Transformers G1, where instead of huge armies, you control a few unique but somewhat powerful characters. Am I understanding it correctly?

And congrats on getting an iPad. Is it worth it or should I just save for the iPhone 4?