• Publisher: Matt Rix
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 7.7 MB
  • Version: 1.66
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (9)
App description: Trainyard has the best user review scores on the entire App Store!

+ Innovative and challenging puzzle mechanic
+ Smooth difficulty curve
+ 100 main puzzles and over 50 bonus puzzles
+ Hundreds of ways to solve each puzzle
+ Puzzle editor: create your own puzzles
+ Retina display support
+ Easily share your unique solutions on Trainyard.ca
+ Looks GREAT on the iPad
+ Engineered for low battery usage
+ Colour-blind mode
+ Game Center support
+ A year in the making
+ Developed in my spare time (support indie games!)

[NOTE: there is a bug in iOS 8 where the game will freeze after a puzzle. To fix it, press Credits -> Rate It. You do not need to actually rate the game, just pressing that button will fix it. Sorry! ]

Stuck on a puzzle? Visit http://trainyard.ca/solutions where there are over *1.5 million* player-submitted solutions.

Trainyard is a puzzle solving game unlike any that you've ever played. It's easy to learn but very tough to master. Your job is simple: get each train to a goal station. Red trains go to red stations, blue trains go to blue stations, etc. You control the trains by drawing track for them to follow. There isn't a time limit or even a score; the only thing you need to do is figure out a solution for each puzzle.

The first few puzzles are almost too easy, but as the difficulty increases you'll be thankful that you were able to practice the fundamentals of drawing track. As the game progresses, you'll have to use colour theory to combine trains of different colours, use timing to merge and split trains, and use every inch of your brain in your quest to beat the game.

Find out more at http://www.trainyard.ca

Developed by Matt Rix (matt@trainyard.ca)

Proudly made in Canada.

Think you beat the whole game? Try to solve all the bonus puzzles! Done that? Try to match the track counts on http://trainyard.ca/solutions

Trainyard makes use of these excellent libraries:

+ Cocos2D-iPhone by Ricardo Quesada
+ XAuthTwitterEngine by Aral Balkan
+ Twitter+OAuth code by Ben Gottlieb
+ MGTwitterEngine by Matt Gemmell
+ ASIHTTPRequest by All-Seeing Interactive
+ SFHFKeychainUtils by Buzz Andersen
+ TouchXML by Jonathan Wight
+ FMDB by Flying Meat Inc.

Prab's comments:


11-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi Tsu View Post
It's soooooo easy. It's one of the easiest bonus puzzles by far I don't understand why it's in the last world AND worth 25 stars.
Yeah I dunno, sometimes I'll have a harder time with a certain puzzle so I'll completely misjudge the difficulty level, but you're right, that's definitely not a 25 star puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancible View Post
I play Trainyard on both my iPhone and iPad. Both are logged into Game Center. But progress and achievements do not sync between the devices.

Is this a bug? Or something wrong with my setup? Or are they not meant to sync?
The achievements should get stored in Game Center, but it's one-way, Trainyard sends achievements to game center but doesn't pull them back down. Right now there is no iCloud syncing of progress either because Apple has made it a huge pain to implement, so it's unlikely that will ever happen.... at least not until Trainyard 2 (which is not coming soon, at all).

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
11-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
The achievements should get stored in Game Center, but it's one-way, Trainyard sends achievements to game center but doesn't pull them back down. Right now there is no iCloud syncing of progress either because Apple has made it a huge pain to implement, so it's unlikely that will ever happen.... at least not until Trainyard 2 (which is not coming soon, at all).
Thanks for the reply.

FWIW, Letterpress uses Game Center to sync progress between devices, but I have no idea whether the same could work for Trainyard - there's a lot more to Trainyard than Letterpress.

11-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancible View Post
Thanks for the reply.

FWIW, Letterpress uses Game Center to sync progress between devices, but I have no idea whether the same could work for Trainyard - there's a lot more to Trainyard than Letterpress.
Yeah that's the issue, unfortunately trainyard's save data is incredibly complex: it's not just storing whether you've solved a puzzle, but it's also storing all of your solutions for each puzzle.

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
11-26-2012, 02:21 AM
When I view a solution using my iPod touch, there is a static image with a caption saying that animation can be seen in a Flash-enabled browser. But when I view the same page using Windows (IE or Safari, with Flash and Java enabled and updated), there is *no* image, static or animated. Any clues as to why?
I also tried sharing a solution on Facebook, but received an error message -- something about August. (huh?) Is that feature still supposed to work?
I'm still playing Express. Very impressive game and features!
11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
When I view a solution using my iPod touch, there is a static image with a caption saying that animation can be seen in a Flash-enabled browser. But when I view the same page using Windows (IE or Safari, with Flash and Java enabled and updated), there is *no* image, static or animated. Any clues as to why?
I also tried sharing a solution on Facebook, but received an error message -- something about August. (huh?) Is that feature still supposed to work?
I'm still playing Express. Very impressive game and features!
Hmm, you should be seeing the solution player when you view it on your computer. Safari on Windows is really old now, isn't it?

Yeah Facebook changed their API so now that sharing stuff doesn't work, I'll be fixing that in the next update, sorry!

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Hmm, you should be seeing the solution player when you view it on your computer. Safari on Windows is really old now, isn't it?

Yeah Facebook changed their API so now that sharing stuff doesn't work, I'll be fixing that in the next update, sorry!
I *should* see a player, but I don't. :^(
I tried again (and again ...) using different solution pages, old and new.
Flash and Java work for me on other pages, but not trainyard.ca
Does it still work (or not) for anyone else?

I don't know how "old" Safari is. I just downloaded it earlier this year to see if it could handle something (I forget what) differently than IE.
11-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
I *should* see a player, but I don't. :^(
I tried again (and again ...) using different solution pages, old and new.
Flash and Java work for me on other pages, but not trainyard.ca
Does it still work (or not) for anyone else?

I don't know how "old" Safari is. I just downloaded it earlier this year to see if it could handle something (I forget what) differently than IE.
Hmm, that's strange, it's working for me in IE.

I highly recommend checking out Google Chrome as a browser if you haven't already, it's super fast and it works great with the Trainyard site: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
11-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Hmm, that's strange, it's working for me in IE.

I highly recommend checking out Google Chrome as a browser if you haven't already, it's super fast and it works great with the Trainyard site: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Chrome rules !!
11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Hmm, that's strange, it's working for me in IE.

I highly recommend checking out Google Chrome as a browser if you haven't already, it's super fast and it works great with the Trainyard site: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Thanks for your answer and recommendation. At least now I know the problem is something on my end.

I'll probably try Chrome, but I suspect it may be a Windows configuration issue since it failed in two different browsers.

Will let you know if I find a solution. *fingers crossed*
11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
It works in Chrome!!! Yay! And cool!

(Now the nerd in me wants to know why IE failed. )

Thanks again, Matt (and DannyTheElite).

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.