★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: WordSnake…Strategies for Winning the WordSnake Contest

06-09-2010, 10:57 AM
WordSnake…Strategies for Winning the WordSnake Contest

UPDATE: Tip #4 is now added below. The Contest Date has been changed, too.

This begins the thread (requested by many of you) on some insights to the new board game, WordSnake….Words Without Borders from oBo Games.

These tips will improve game play as well as prepare you for the WordSnake Contest coming to this forum October 1st. (Sorry the date for the contest had to be changed to allow for some critical updates) There are 39 prizes being given away, including an iPad.

In addition to my updates on game play strategies, I invite other WordSnake players to add comments and tips.

Now is the time to get good. We will be launching WordSnake With Friends (a shameless rip off) that offers Pass & Play and Online Competition later this summer. This will feed into other contests oBo Games has planned. Pass this on to friends, because it will be your interaction with them that increases your chances to win.

Here is a game play video followed by various tips.

Youtube link | Pop Up

The Tips:

Tip # 1 – Master the Undo

The game gives you 130 letter tiles to play in sequence. Just as every game board is different each time, so are the letter strings. There are over 20 trillion combinations of the letter strings to assure you of unexpected play. One insider tip: Every 8 letters are guaranteed to have a minimum of 3 vowels and maximum of 5 consonants.

Watch this 2 minute video to see how to maximize your view of upcoming letters.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tip # 2 - Using Shortcuts

Even though you get 130 letters to move across the map, there are obstacles to contend with. To get across faster, use the Shortcuts to your advantage. Here's a 2 minute video to show you how.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tip # 3 - Build Off Word Bridge

This tip is all about getting more points. Most people waste letters when they don't seem to fit. This tip shows you there is a better way to handle them.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tip # 4 - Use All The Exits

This tip is all about how to use all three exits from Elmer's Den (the Starting Point) in WordSnake.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tip # 5 - WordSnake as a Word

This tip is about how to make the word, WordSnake in a game, which will be one of the requirements in the upcoming contest.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tip # 6 - Getting The Blues, is coming August 30th. Join us then.

Check out WordSnake on the iPad. Jump over to the TouchArcade thread.

Last edited by Game_Breaker; 08-16-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Tip #5 is now here
06-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice! I bought WordSnake, and have to say, I absolutely love it! I'm terrible at it, but these tips are helping me out significantly. Man, exceeding 700 points is tough...

06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProxy View Post
Nice! I bought WordSnake, and have to say, I absolutely love it! I'm terrible at it, but these tips are helping me out significantly. Man, exceeding 700 points is tough...
Glad you like and appreciate WordSnake. 700 is tough. My top score is 823. This screenshot came right before playing the last tile.

We are adding some new features and means to score points. I'll keep folks updated.
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Tip #2 is now posted....Good game playing

Tip #2 - Using Shortcuts will help you improve your WordSnake game and get you ready for the WordSnake (iPad Give Away) Contest coming July 1st.
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
WordSnake

I was having issues with this game crashing, but after the update it works great. My wife and I love this game and hope they update with new boards.
06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinghamYoni View Post
I was having issues with this game crashing, but after the update it works great. My wife and I love this game and hope they update with new boards.
The game was allocating too much memory. The fix makes it run fast and smooth, especially on an iPad.
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm getting an iPad next month, can't wait to play WordSnake on it. Might be easier on a bigger screen.
06-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinghamYoni View Post
I'm getting an iPad next month, can't wait to play WordSnake on it. Might be easier on a bigger screen.
iPad version is coming next month. The iPhone version at 2x on the iPad is stiil great. The zoom feature works nice. Unfortunately, the iPad won't improve your smarts.
06-19-2010, 08:13 PM
TIP #3 is now here!!

Check out the third tip for making you a better WordSnake player. Hope this helps everybody do better in the upcoming contest.
06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Third tip definitely helped. Though I'm still pretty bad at the game!