★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gameloft
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 186.8 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $6.99
  • Average User Rating: 2.3 (3)
App description: Experience the most successful crime simulation on the iPad! Explore a city inspired by Los Angeles on foot or by car and play as a gangster ready to do whatever it takes to destroy rival gangs and rule the city. The Gangstar: West Coast Hustle experience offers an urban adventure with unprecedented realism thanks to high-definition graphics that take full advantage of the power of the iPad.

UNPARALLELED FREEDOM OF ACTION
Discover a city thats livelier than ever, with crime opportunities at every street corner. Do whatever you want but watch out for cops on patrol!
Drive over miles of road in open environments. Set the scalable city map at your will, add notes to help you find your way more easily, and complete missions at your own pace.

AN HD EXPERIENCE OPTIMIZED FOR THE iPad
The most realistic urban environments ever created for the iPad, with incredible graphics, detailed textures and spectacular lighting effects.
All cars have an optimized appearance for the iPad, with high definition modeling and richer textures. Their behavior is just as realistic as ever, for breathtaking city chases!

UNMATCHED GAMEPLAY
Optimal playability for phases on foot as well as by car. Personalize the interface to suit your needs and choose between touch controls or accelerometer for car sequences.
Terrorize the streets of L.A. with an arsenal worthy of the greatest gangsters, including an all-new weapon, the grenade launcher, as well as golden guns, exclusively for the iPad version.

Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.

goiMot's comments:

06-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Cool, I've been waiting for this one! All I need is this and GT Racing and I'll be happy!

Gamecenter: MicroByte
Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride

06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
can't find it

...........................GC: k1llyb1lly.......................
06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, goiMot. Can't wait. About 3 and a half hours left.

Current Vice: GoF2HD, Bastion, PvZ, Dead Space iPad, FFDim, FFIV, WoGoo, Solomon's Keep, Hook Champ
06-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Just bought it. Downloading now.

Scarily, the iPad version is 163 mb, the iPhone 223mb?

Hmm...

So hopefully they haven't yanked out music or something. I'd have expected an HD version to be higher res textures, higher res intro video and be larger in file size. Maybe they optimised things.

Anyway i'll post thoughts back once played.

All I can about s framerate. If it's choppy, then I'll play the iPhone version upsized. Can't stand horrid frame rates.

And whilst it's good that GTA:CW is coming to the iPad, Gangstar is 3D and more like GTA3 from my memories of it. It's fun.

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.
06-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post
Just bought it. Downloading now.

Scarily, the iPad version is 163 mb, the iPhone 223mb?

Hmm...

So hopefully they haven't yanked out music or something. I'd have expected an HD version to be higher res textures, higher res intro video and be larger in file size. Maybe they optimised things.

Anyway i'll post thoughts back once played.

All I can about s framerate. If it's choppy, then I'll play the iPhone version upsized. Can't stand horrid frame rates.

And whilst it's good that GTA:CW is coming to the iPad, Gangstar is 3D and more like GTA3 from my memories of it. It's fun.
hey are there any new features? like is there a massive difference between this and its iphone equivalent? and thats for TOFTT

Last edited by seo25; 06-09-2010 at 08:11 PM.
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
@darwiniandude - are you in NZ or somewhere else (other than the US)? I'm assuming so since I still get request cannot be completed.

I agree, GTA:CW is good, but I prefer the full 3D gameplay and would love an iPad version.

Can't wait for your impressions!

Jetpack Joyride: all 125 medals :: Golden Tophat winner :: Special Half-Brick Prize
Playing: Sonic Racing Transformed | Giant Boulder of Death | Dead Trigger 2 | Jetpack Joyride
06-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroByte View Post
@darwiniandude - are you in NZ or somewhere else (other than the US)? I'm assuming so since I still get request cannot be completed.

I agree, GTA:CW is good, but I prefer the full 3D gameplay and would love an iPad version.

Can't wait for your impressions!
Darwin's in Australia i think he's an aussie the game is also released in australia
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi guys.

Content thus far appears identical. Pretty sure in Gameloft style this is the same game. I don't mind that, but I've always wished they'd do a $9.99 DLC extra world add on, but we know they won't... have to wait for Gangstar 2.

Yes I'm an Aussie, and although one of our capital cities is Darwin my forename is because I was obsessed with the game Darwinia ages ago. (PC/Mac/Linux, not iDevice)

Ok, Gangstar. The framerate is fine, but it's not silky. It is at times, but obviously not so perfect as the iPhone version is on the iPad. But it's a toss up between better graphics and insanely silky framerate.

The cars apparently are higher poly models according to the appstore description, but the missions and gameplay is probably exactly the same.

Well worth getting if you haven't played the original, if you have then you need to ask yourself if you feel like playing it again with better graphics. I don't even have an iPhone now (sold on eBay two days before WWDC, haha) so the iPad is my primary device... for now.

I'll pop a pair of screenshots from each version into this post.

File sizes are identical now they're both in iTunes.

Top one is the 2x iPhone version. I tried to get the view angle about the same.

iPad 3G: The first personal computer.

Last edited by darwiniandude; 06-09-2010 at 08:35 PM.
06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post
Hi guys.

Content thus far appears identical. Pretty sure in Gameloft style this is the same game. I don't mind that, but I've always wished they'd do a $9.99 DLC extra world add on, but we know they won't... have to wait for Gangstar 2.

Yes I'm an Aussie, and although one of our capital cities is Darwin my forename is because I was obsessed with the game Darwinia ages ago. (PC/Mac/Linux, not iDevice)

Ok, Gangstar. The framerate is fine, but it's not silky. It is at times, but obviously not so perfect as the iPhone version is on the iPad. But it's a toss up between better graphics and insanely silky framerate.

The cars apparently are higher poly models according to the appstore description, but the missions and gameplay is probably exactly the same.

Well worth getting if you haven't played the original, if you have then you need to ask yourself if you feel like playing it again with better graphics. I don't even have an iPhone now (sold on eBay two days before WWDC, haha) so the iPad is my primary device... for now.

I'll pop a pair of screenshots from each version into this post.

File sizes are identical now they're both in iTunes.

*snip*

Top one is the 2x iPhone version. I tried to get the view angle about the same.
Thanks so much for your impressions, very appreciated! Personally, I'm fine with just the bump in graphics, I liked the game before and play it on and off so am willing to purchase the iPad specific one. I knew that it would be the same basic game, but I can live with that.

Thanks again!