★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Freemium Anyone?

06-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Freemium Anyone?

I read this in this month's edition of "Develop" magazine (page 12, if anyone has the hard copy):

"Ngmoco estimates that it makes four times more money from freemium than premium and is thought to be grossing well over a million dollars each month".

Possibly not news to everyone but I certainly found it to be food for thought...
06-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to klicktock
I think it's a cool space to be in if you can provide value for the players. I'm glad it's doing well for them!

BUT, I'm still a bit mad at them for cancelling Rolando 3 because they couldn't figure out how to make it freemium.

There's place for both types of applications IMO!

06-10-2010, 08:59 AM
I think we're going to look into the Freemium model. People need a chance to try out things to see if they like it - provide a good product and people will buy stuff for it.
06-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klicktock View Post
BUT, I'm still a bit mad at them for cancelling Rolando 3 because they couldn't figure out how to make it freemium.
Their excuse makes absolutely no sense. There's plenty of ways they could have done it, the most glaringly obvious being to provide 5-10 levels free and sell the rest as level packs.
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to klicktock
Freemium isn't so much "FREE+PAY" as it is "FREE+CONSUMABLES". Once someone has bought and completed Rolando 3, there's nothing more else to buy without creating a lot of level packs. Whereas with a proper freemium game you can extend gameplay, provide personalisation and make a game that people can continue to play.

That's why it was cancelled, because the game has an "end".
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't see how level packs don't qualify as "extending gameplay and making a game that people can continue to play". If personalization is the issue, just replace "level packs" in my last post with "level editor".
06-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
I don't see how level packs don't qualify as "extending gameplay and making a game that people can continue to play". If personalization is the issue, just replace "level packs" in my last post with "level editor".
The difference is that level packs extend gameplay once for each pack purchased. The player can then play them as much as they want for as long as they want.

With consumables you can continue to derive revenue from players over and over again, as long as they continue to play.

I think you can make money both ways, but the consumables seems like it has a higher average rate of return, especially because of hardcore players.
06-18-2010, 07:40 AM
But it's the same even if you're selling skins/themes/other customizing features. Take minigore (not a freemium game, but uses a similar DLC model), for example, players can purchase extra characters if they like, but they can then just as easily decide to just play the game with the ones they already have and never buy any more. Same with We Rule.
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
More profitable in the long run due to the more hardcore gamers that keep coming back to it, and also due to those who want to get far in the game quickly, for whatever reason.

Morally, it's fine as long as you don't need to buy the optional items. As long as the items remain optional and simply exist to enhance the Player's gameplay experience, then the game remains F2P.

Gameloft LIVE: Lethal_Tuna
Plus Network: nbgfr478ii
"Have a Nice Day!"
06-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
But it's the same even if you're selling skins/themes/other customizing features. Take minigore (not a freemium game, but uses a similar DLC model), for example, players can purchase extra characters if they like, but they can then just as easily decide to just play the game with the ones they already have and never buy any more. Same with We Rule.
It is not the same at all. Skins, themes, etc. only need to be purchased ONCE and can then be used as much as the player wants.

Consumable items get purchased multiple times. Let's say you have a farming game and you can buy seeds. Clearly there is a difference between the following two scenarios:

1. You buy carrot seeds once and can then use them forever to plant as many carrots as you like.
2. You have to buy new seeds every time you want to plant more carrots.

Also, if you want to have the carrots grow faster instead of waiting, you can buy fertilizer to speed the growth.

People are impatient, and are willing to pay money for things like that.

Flower Garden is an example of the fertilizer concept, and it is doing quite well for the developer (supporting him as a full time developer).