★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

OpenFeint vs. GameCenter

06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
OpenFeint vs. GameCenter

Click image for larger version

Name:	title6.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	19108

We are looking at adding support for either OpenFeint or Apple's GameCenter when it becomes available. Which would you prefer incorporated into our game?

Initially we are looking at supporting global leader but would like to support head-to-head competitions.

Sincerely,
Cres
www.peppersthegame.com

06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to swishinj
Gamecenter dosent come out till fall ......

You won't find me on the leaderboards.

06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Either way Game Center is official, and so far it's pretty damn nice. I say +1 For GameCenter
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
This is true, but we have a few other game enhancements we are considering first. OpenFeint has a current following, do you think Apple's GameCenter can overcome that?
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Easily
06-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia2010 View Post
This is true, but we have a few other game enhancements we are considering first. OpenFeint has a current following, do you think Apple's GameCenter can overcome that?
I don't know, OpenFeint would be good because you can incorporate that now instead of waiting for GameCenter

I'm what you could call a "casual" mobile gamer.
06-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Openfeint has already stated that they will become an overlay of GameCenter.

They will also help devs with the transition to Gamecenter.

So I'd say Openfeint as they have a complete solution (and currently the biggest/best) and it will use as much as Gamecenter as it can
06-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Openfeint has already stated that they will become an overlay of GameCenter.

They will also help devs with the transition to Gamecenter.

So I'd say Openfeint as they have a complete solution (and currently the biggest/best) and it will use as much as Gamecenter as it can
This. Also I'm glad you are looking to incorporate leaderboards. Basically my only complaint is being resolved .

Game Center: B34$T
Proud beta-tester for a bunch of cool games.
Dual-stick shooter fan
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
My concern is it would look a little odd to support both, I guess that is always a possibility, but first I need to get the 'Lite' version published. Sales are ok, the game play, graphics, music, and ratings thusfar are great. Hopefully the 'Lite' version can generate some more interest.

I have a few enhancement requests from some of our customers we are mulling over, things like power-ups, and more hazards. We also need to support the new OS 4.0 and obviously the iPhone 4. At least Apple is giving me a reason to get the latest toys. Right now I am awaiting approval from Apple on our newest updated. I think it will be received well.

I have briefly looked into OpenFeint in the past, but at this time I still need to dig deeper into GameCenter.
06-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Openfeint's director says that it's very likely that both services will coexist without clashing or duplicating functionality, i.e. with the next version of Openfeint adapting so that they fill separate, but related, niches.

In any case, there's no reason why you shouldn't support Openfeint for now, and add GameCenter support when it becomes available (with or without dropping Openfeint at that point).