★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Magic Games
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 16.0 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: HOT! Sale! only 0.99$ (full price 3.99$)

Rescue the good fairy from the evil spirits and return her to the forest in this magical brick breaker game! Bounce the ball against those bricks and don't let it hit the ground!

The purpose of the game is to keep the ball in the air as long as possible and gather as much points as you can. The more coins and bonuses you collect, the more points you get and the more extra powers you can buy from the Magic Shop.

Enchanted Forest is more than just another breakout clone. It brings a new approach in the brick breaker genre with original gameplay, special guns and bonuses, colorful graphics and playful music.

Begin this quest and enjoy hours of charming, delightful play and colorful attractive graphics. You can either choose to relax, or to keep you alert and improve your dexterity on high speed mode.

But what's that? You want maximum adrenaline? Try to beat Enchanted Forest on hard difficulty mode!

Games features:
- 100 challenging levels
- 5 different worlds
- Buy extra powers from the Magic Shop
- Get magic tokens to control ball movement
- Save your game progress
- OpenFeint enabled
- Choose between accelerometer or touch control
- Faeries, dragons & ladybugs in a magical combination
- Discover hidden achievements

goiMot's comments:

Lite : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/enchanted-forest-lite/id384670141?mt=8
06-11-2010, 06:43 AM
screenshots look pretty, but $5 for yet another breakout clone? gonna need to see some video of this one or one hell of a good review by squarezero.

06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Due to the overwhelming posts on this thread, I'll keep this as brief as I can.

Disclaimer: the devs PM'ed me a promo code. I played about 5 or 6 levels, and I had to force myself for the last couple.

Should you buy this game?

In short, if you simply MUST have EVERY breakout clone, or if fairies tickle your fancy in some severely wrong way, buy it. Otherwise, don't.

Here's the "don't":

The first impression is the most important, and this game fails its first impression with menus that try to be animated, but obviously render at less than 30 fps. You can see each individual frame of animation. I don't know if it's because they're trying to do too much and the iPad can't handle it or what. Let's Golf HD, Real Racing HD, and iBooks can render fine, and I saw nothing in the menus that looked even half as complex as the iBooks page-turn animation.

The actual gameplay is smooth [mostly], though there are two problems: one glaring and one that may not be a problem for everyone.
1. THERE'S NO PAUSE BUTTON!
Seriously? No pause button. That the developers couldn't figure out what the "Start" button on an NES controller was for is disappointing to say the least.
2. The amount of stuff that drops from the play area that you're supposed to catch/avoid with your paddle is absurd. At times, there's more falling crap than oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico. I've lost the ball in the mess more times than I could count. Some of the items that drop look like flipping coins, and their animation is as slow as the menus.

Other gameplay problems: sometimes there's a fairy flitting around the screen, doing something. I think she makes individual blocks disappear, but she's so slow at it, she's kind of pointless.
There's an overworld map that shows a single path through various locales. The path is somewhat long, and after those 5 or 6 rounds, I had progressed less than an inch along the path. Clearly, there are a TON of levels (possibly its only point to justify the price). At the beginning, the overworld map doesn't do a very good job indicating that you are on said path, making for a confusing time if you tapped the desert region and end up a forest-themed level.
One of the types of items that drop is coins. These coins are used to buy potions at the end of each level. There are three different potion colors: red for 5, blue for 10, and yellow for 30. The potions somehow turn into powerups. I bought a couple, and each one appeared to do nothing. I could see the icon of a powerup in the lower-right of the screen on the next level, but tapping all over the area only made my paddle move to the right side of the screen. There's also a dagger icon on the lower-left of the screen, and it also does nothing (I guess - I didn't see anything).
The sound is horrid. I've heard some wonderful music emanate from the iPad speaker, so I don't think that was the culprit. The music in this game sounded like it was recorded in a tin can, then re-broadcast out the Godfather's mouth and re-recorded.

Ok, so, not so brief. Happens. Sorry developers, maybe if it was only a buck and you cleaned up the menus...and the sound...and the potion mechanic...and less sh!t falling from blocks...and the ...yeah.
06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Hey minameismud!

Thanks for taking the time and writing such a detailed description of what you think, we're always glad to hear any kind of feedback!

Now let me see if i can clarify some of your concerns or at least share my view on this .

In fact, there is a way to pause the game, iPad style, just swipe from right to left, of from bottom to top and you'll pause the game or enter the in-game menu. These things are mentioned in the help section, but obviously need a better place so that people don't get confused.

Second of all, all the stuff that falls is destined in helping the action and keep a fast paced game, and also contribute to the score. It's kind of hard making always the best decisions regarding to take that bonus or keep an eye onto the ball, but this implies strategy and skill.

Also, by the fact that you said you were tapping the screen and the pad moved i understand you played the game with the touch. There is another way of playing it, using the accelerometer, which we believe is more fun and engaging. Just go to settings and you can change this setting from there.

The little faery you saw onto the screen , does indeed make bricks disappear, by casting magic onto them, it's your assistant and if you free it you deserve all she's help.

Also, by buying potions, you indeed turn them into powerups. All the powerups that you buy are displayed on the right side of the screen, in the magic shop. The symbols are meant to teach you how to recognize all the bonuses in the game fast and correct, so that you can make decisions about avoiding them or catching them. All the symbols are detailed, also in the help section.

Thanks once again for the reply!
06-14-2010, 09:21 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I would like to see a video, couldn't find one.
06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey goiMot!

A video is in the making, also we're planning to release a Lite version soon, so stay tuned!
06-14-2010, 10:17 AM
I love breakout games and looked at this but just couldn't do it. I think it looks cool but there are just too many other breakout games in the store at lower prices.
06-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I love breakout games and looked at this but just couldn't do it. I think it looks cool but there are just too many other breakout games in the store at lower prices.
1+ This looks awesome but I had a breakout clone that became universal! For the price, I think I will stick with the universal one but the graphics look awesome and I like the sound of a power up shop.
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goiMot View Post
I would like to see a video, couldn't find one.
A little late, but the first video is out!

http://vimeo.com/12864436

Enjoy!
06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
A little late, but the first video is out!

http://vimeo.com/12864436

Enjoy!
Actually looks pretty good. Not a huge fan of tilt though, is there a touch option?