★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Quoridor the amazing maze

06-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Quoridor the amazing maze

Boardgame of the year 1997-1998, stunning mazes are created on each game.
It is one app than runs on 3 devices: iPhone, iPod touch, iPad HD
Game objective:
with the player pawn reach the other side of the board before the opponent go to on our start side.
Game specifications:
- one app than runs on 3 devices: iPhone, iPod touch, iPad (native and fullscreen)
- smooth graphics
- smart A.I. with 3 levels for endless games
- energy safe: optimized to do not drain your battery
- listen your iTunes music during play
- Undo action shaking the device (a clickable button is provided when run on iPad)
Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quoridor-shot1.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	19176  
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Looks very polished.
Appinfo:

06-12-2010, 01:26 PM
One of my top all time 10 strategic board games. Thought it was coming out in January 2010 but it took a little while. Buying it now.

I have given travel version $20 each to like 3 or 4 friends. I have owned original and also travel now (but lost walls ..hmm). This is a quick 10 min two player game. Probably 5 mins if with computer.

Biggest thing to know is many research thesis have been written about this game. It's almost impossible to have the AI beat a decent playing human. It has much more possible moves than chess therefore pretty much impossible. Even on a 2.53GHz dual core the CPU not fast enough. So I am really curious how long a move takes on iPad on strongest A.I. level.

ok A.I. isn't all that strong but I didn't suspect it would be as they try to keep thinking time below 5 seconds it appears. No local 2 player possible. I told my son ...hey let's play and he was excited and then ..oops sorry looks like just AI...how sad.

Last edited by mrbass; 06-12-2010 at 02:14 PM.
06-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Developer note

Thanks to everybody. I appreciate useful comments to improve the game.

Quote:
Biggest thing to know is many research thesis have been written about this game. It's almost impossible to have the AI beat a decent playing human. It has much more possible moves than chess therefore pretty much impossible. Even on a 2.53GHz dual core the CPU not fast enough. So I am really curious how long a move takes on iPad on strongest A.I. level.
ok A.I. isn't all that strong but I didn't suspect it would be as they try to keep thinking time below 5 seconds it appears.
I studied one year about the A.i. The game was in beta on the site with the Flash player version. I created 8 different A.I.s tested by a lot of people.
The problem is not the CPU speed to compute the moves because is not chess-like. Currently the CPU wins 1/3 of the games and for most players is good enought.
I'm working on defence tecniques, where the CPU protect itself avoiding tunnels and close back longer paths. I hope soon to update the game with these techniques.

Quote:
No local 2 player possible. I told my son ...hey let's play and he was excited and then ..oops sorry looks like just AI...how sad.
The multiplayer option is on the go. I already written it, but crashed on Apple iPhone lines (maybe due to the AT&T ?). In Italy runs very well.
After I figured out what is wrong with US telephone lines I will add.
06-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
No local 2 player possible. I told my son ...hey let's play and he was excited and then ..oops sorry looks like just AI...how sad.
That's really a shame

Like I said in the thread in the iphone forum it's one of my favorite board games but I wasn't too sure about the implementation. Online multiplayer is great when I want to play at 1am but I don't think anything can compare to having friends over and playing
06-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Do not buy that game!

I gave a 1 star rating in the German AppStore with a very detailed Review!

It crashes often, the AI plays bad, it has no different AI Level (only 1 - 3 AI player the same time), it does not save your game after exit and many other bugs!

After one day I deleted it ... wasted money!!!

Regards,
Sascha

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
06-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't really care about multiplayer...it's ok I guess but only local two player is that I care about. If I would have read app description I wouldn't have spent $4 on it and just waited for that. Right now still no portable version exists I just keep having to print out sheets of paper to play it.

I'm played the strongest A.I.s in the various java implementations and I can usually always beat them. Only playing another human gives this game any hope of being appealing to me.
06-14-2010, 12:18 AM
I didn't think about using two phones instead the 'real wood game' as portable solution.
I'm thinking about for the iPad which is big as the original game.
I will think about and do some tests on bluetooth Apple code.
Thank you for your idea.
06-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by simiula View Post
I didn't think about using two phones instead the 'real wood game' as portable solution.
I'm thinking about for the iPad which is big as the original game.
I will think about and do some tests on bluetooth Apple code.
Thank you for your idea.
So you were online but not one word about all the bugs I wrote here and in the Appstore ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythbuster View Post
I gave a 1 star rating in the German AppStore with a very detailed Review!

It crashes often, the AI plays bad, it has no different AI Level (only 1 - 3 AI player the same time), it does not save your game after exit and many other bugs!
Good to see how you are care about the customers who spend money for nothing ...

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
06-15-2010, 02:48 AM
I cannot access to USA AppStore, on my developer page there isn't any message about.
The game was tested 6 months online with the Flash version and some months for the iPhone, never crashed on the way you told me.
Could you give more infos about ?
- the bad move is to closing the path himself ?
- closed the path to yourself ?
- does it crash at the early game or when the game is quite completed ?
Having a screenshot could be very useful.

bye