★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is OS 2.x support still important?

06-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Is OS 2.x support still important?

Hi everyone -

Quick question. I'm updating an old(er) game to fix a compatibility bug with OS 4.0. The last update of the game (8 months ago) supported back to OS 2.2.1.

How important is it to support 2.x devices anymore?

At the moment I don't even have a 2.x device to test against, and it sure would be nice to not worry about it anymore. But the last thing I want to do is screw over people who paid for my game and still run 2.x.

Thanks,

-josh
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't believe the newer sdks even support 2.x which should answer your question

If you cant test I would certainly move on, apart from a few ipod touch users who have not paid to upgrade, I am certainly working under the assumption that if they cant be bothered to upgrade to 3.0 they are probably not interested in any of my applications!

Follow be on Twitter

Think you're smart prove it with Know Color

06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
The best way to answer this question is to look at your analytics and see how many users are still using 2.2.1 for your app. But since you don't have that data, there's still a significant amount of users that are on 2.2.1.
06-13-2010, 05:28 PM
You can be pretty sure that when 4.0 comes out, most people will have upgraded, as it will be free to my understanding. At that point, mostly only the 1g owners will have old software, but their hardware will be far outdated. I guess for now you may wanna keep it down.

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgutteridge View Post
I don't believe the newer sdks even support 2.x which should answer your question
Yes they do. I have several apps that support 2.0, and are built using the latest SDK.
06-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Since 4.0 will be free, the only people who wouldn't upgrade would either be people with some kind of problem(s) upgrading, or they are pirates who don't want to re-jb.

Playing: [Chaos Rings] [CoD: Zombies] [LASW] [GTA: Chinatown Wars] [CBNK 2] [THPS2] [Cubed Rally Racer]
OF: cifang
Plus+: cifang
06-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cifuang View Post
Since 4.0 will be free, the only people who wouldn't upgrade would either be people with some kind of problem(s) upgrading, or they are pirates who don't want to re-jb.
Not all jailbreakers are pirates.

Licensed and Certified Legacy User
06-14-2010, 02:45 AM
This thread covers this subject pretty well. Basically concluding that it's safe to up the version number.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
06-14-2010, 03:29 AM
Ah, that helps. I guess maybe I'm confused.

If you're running 2.2.1 and you are running an app that previously only required 2.2.1 but now updates to 3.0, does the app store prevent you from downloading the update?

The update I'm pushing is just a bug fix that only effects OS 4.0. If people with 2.2.1 can't accidentally download the update, I have no reason to worry about it.

-josh
06-14-2010, 05:48 AM
I could be wrong but I think what happens is that anyone who downloads from their device will not be allowed to download a version their device can't run.

The problem is that it would be possible to download a version your device can't run from iTunes. iTunes would then refuse to upload. I guess the bigger problem is that if the user ever wiped their device it wouldn't restore. Unless iTunes is smarter than I give it credit for and keeps backups of previous version of apps where the OS requirement changed (I doubt it).

The point is that Stroffilino said he had one (non jailbroken) user complain and he didn't even know he could upgrade. The 5 jailbroken guys who complained were doing so because he went right up to date to an OS version that hadn't been 'cracked' yet, if he'd gone to 3.0 or even 3.1 they wouldn't have complained, jailbreakers don't run 2.2.1, they just have to occasionally delay getting the latest version.

I suspect that there may be a significant number of 2.2.1 users but these are probably mostly people who just don't sync to iTunes so will be accessing the app store on their devices and probably rarely buying games if they haven't felt the need to upgrade to 3.0 at some point in the last year.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-