★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Multiplayer vs. Playing Against AI

View Poll Results: I think...
all or most games should have multiplayer 14 38.89%
playing against AI is fun and fine 5 13.89%
it depends on the game or my mood 16 44.44%
other 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll
06-14-2010, 02:18 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,359
Multiplayer vs. Playing Against AI

I deal with enough people during the day... When I play my games, I'd rather play against AI than another person. Are there any others here who don't care if a game has multiplayer features or not?
06-14-2010, 02:30 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,726
i love multiplayer. its the best thing about games, but i prefer team play over competetive
theres only very few games that i would rather be single player

06-14-2010, 02:33 AM
#3
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsharpfilm View Post
I deal with enough people during the day... When I play my games, I'd rather play against AI than another person. Are there any others here who don't care if a game has multiplayer features or not?
I used to care a lot about whether or not a game had multiplayer features before.

I'm going to step out of the 'iPhone' arena for a while to answer this question; having played countless online FPS games for the PC (starting with Quake 2, ending at Team Fortress 2), there was a point in time where I preferred the multiplayer experience over trying out the Single Player campaign. Things started to take a turn for me though, and as I grew older, I enjoyed the richness and effort that goes into a single player experience more than the random nature of online battles.

At this point of time, i've stopped playing TF2, L4D2 and literally any other online game, simply because of the limited amount of time I have. I enjoy the single player variants much more, and because of that, I don't personally care if a game has online features or not (for example: X2 Football on the iPhone).


Bottom line: It's fun if it has the option; am sure other people would agree to disagree, but it's not a decision-maker for me personally.

OpenFeint / Gameloft ID: KiranB28
Hooked On: Cut The Rope, Bookworm, Samurai II
Reckless Racer, Modern Combat 2 (add me!)
06-14-2010, 05:33 AM
#4
For non-campaign mode in most games, definitely multiplayer. I don't like playing against bots in FPSs and strategy games, for example.
06-14-2010, 06:00 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,146
In 1996 I discovered a little multiplayer game called Diablo. No single player game wthout at least SOME aspect of multiplayer interaction has held my interest for longer than a few days at most since.
06-14-2010, 10:10 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
multiplayer ftw.
06-14-2010, 11:43 AM
#7
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Perv, why do you care?
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn02102 View Post
For non-campaign mode in most games, definitely multiplayer. I don't like playing against bots in FPSs and strategy games, for example.
Sometimes though, in FPSs, it will be just me and my two friends. So, sometimes it seems like it would be more enjoyable with bots.
06-14-2010, 12:05 PM
#8
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranb28 View Post
I'm going to step out of the 'iPhone' arena for a while to answer this question; having played countless online FPS games for the PC (starting with Quake 2, ending at Team Fortress 2), there was a point in time where I preferred the multiplayer experience over trying out the Single Player campaign. Things started to take a turn for me though, and as I grew older, I enjoyed the richness and effort that goes into a single player experience more than the random nature of online battles.
Same here.

After a few year of playing Quake, Unreal Tournament, and so on, I started to grow tired of pure action / strategy. I like a good story now, and artificial intelligence that doesn't depend on an Internet connection. This is why Elder Scrolls 3 and 4 are two of my favorite games. They're huge, fun, immersive, and completely self-contained.
06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
#9
Stepping in a different area here:

Multiplayer: Lag, cheaters, more random fun, unpredictable.
Single player: Less lag, AI can't cheat, predictable.
06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
#10
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,988
If you like strategy games, the question is way too simple, since, on the one hand, its hard and fairly rare to find acceptable AI, and on the other hand, a LOT of TBS strategy games are designed in a manner that multiplayer takes way longer then I like. So...I prefer *simple* multiplayer games like Galcon, Generals, and Armada, and for more complex strategy games (such as most TBS), I prefer AI, at least when its competent AI. I am not currently playing any TBS on idevice, but that is the way my preferences work.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale