★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hexius - updated and price reduced!

06-14-2010, 05:49 AM
Hexius - updated, price reduced, and free promo codes!

Hi all,
The Hexius update is out now - as requested, it has OpenFeint, and a non-time-limited game mode, and the price is also reduced, plus it's now a Universal app!

UPDATE : A Lite version is now available! search the store for Hexius Lite....

Recent reviews :

touchreviews.net : 5/5
appsmile.com : 4.5/5
mobiletechreview.com : 5/5
appaddict.net : 4/5
maccreate.com : 4.5/5
AppShouter.com : "If you’re a fan of Puzzle games ... you should definitely pick up Hexius"

iPhone promo trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

NEW : iPad gameplay video (Time Attack mode)

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by PhasicLabs; 08-05-2010 at 09:13 AM.
06-14-2010, 11:16 AM

06-20-2010, 08:18 AM
A major update has been submitted for those of you with iPads - when it's approved, Hexius will be a universal app (iPhone/iPod and iPad compatible), with HD graphics on the iPad.

Also, currently only the OpenFeint friends leaderboards are accessible in the game menus (you have to go into the OpenFeint dashboard to see global rankings). The new update will also show global rankings in-game!
06-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Want to check Hexius out? Here are some promo codes!

Please post a reply here if you use a code though, to stop everyone else wasting their time trying to use them - thanks!

EDIT : Just been PM'ed - apparently all the codes are now used - thanks to Haliaeetus for being the one person who posted about using one!

Last edited by PhasicLabs; 06-20-2010 at 10:24 AM.
06-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I took 4RP7AHNYENNR. Thanks! I will review it later today.
06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Hmm... this really deserves MORE attention.

Really great game!
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Nejibana View Post
Hmm... this really deserves MORE attention.

Really great game!
Glad you like it! Feel free to rate this thread
06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I adopted the first one WJYEJP7FTTWK all the other ones were used

EDIT: Just tried it out and its really cool. I really like the effects with the specials. Very nice job!

Last edited by EMTKiNG; 06-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Game Impressions

Well, I didn't expect this game to be as good as it is... True, it's graphically very polished but there are so many games out there with much higher levels of finish but are woefully shallow. Not so with Hexius. It would generally fall under the category of those "matching" games but there's much more strategy involved.

The player is presented with a board, full of hexagons that have a number of differing symbols on them. Plus one to the designer for considering those who may be colourblind. The purpose is to clear the board, fulfilling a number of objectives, depending on which of the 3 modes has been chosen. Now, matching is simple and I think most would be sick of this, but that's where this game is very very different... It's not just about matching, it's initially more about choosing the right symbols to match and the order in which they are chosen. On top of this, different symbols require differing numbers of the same to be selected in order to achieve this.

Now, one of the things I enjoy about this are the bonuses and various power-ups that are available, not only because of what they do but more so because the player is in control of where they appear. This is done by the way the player makes those matches on the board.

Bonus tiles include; score multiplier (but here, it's limited to just 2x, hope the developer add more though, even make it random?), there's a bonus bomb that can clear massive areas, a helper bonus that can show you where other identical symbols are, a freeze bonus that slows down time on one of the modes. Getting this bonuses can really make or break a score and adds a wonderful amount of depth to the game.

Game modes, well, 3;

1) Time attack - 90 seconds to get as high a score as possible
2) Level challenge mode - destroy the targets as quickly as possible, some targets require multiple hits
3) Strategy Mode - no time limit, but 30 moves only. A limited number of bonuses but I've been playing this mode most as it works very well with the Openfeint system.... and a real incentive to come back and try different approaches...

...that's it folks. Introducing Hexius, a cleverly crafted and nice example of a puzzle game. Price wise, it's a great investment due to the range of modes available, the quality of graphics with suitable sound effects, the ability to "pick-up-'n'-play", Openfeint - with achievements, and well thought-out gameplay.

On the other hand, a few suggestions for the developer - increase the possible multiplier bonus as '2x' is not really enough. Also, another bonus tile is needed, one that can wipe out all symbols of the same colour on the gameboard. I think this would extend the gameplay and also offer some relief if the player is facing the last few seconds of a level and needs a little luck.

Recommended for puzzle fans and those who love games with a bit more strategy and subtlety. A great game.
06-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Hi ataloss - thanks for the detailed review

I'd like to respond to a couple of points you made :

>> score multiplier (but here, it's limited to just 2x,
>> hope the developer add more though, even make it random?)

It's probably not too clear in the game, which is something I need to address, but the way the 2x multipliers work is that you should try and get as many on screen at once before trying to trigger them all at the same time, as they are cumulative.

collecting 2 gives score x 2 x 2 = score x 4,
collecting 5 gives score x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = score x 32

The reason I didn't want to make the multipliers random is so that there is an even playing field in this mode - it's all about using strategy to get a high score.

>> Also, another bonus tile is needed, one that can wipe out all symbols of
>> the same colour on the gameboard.

I really like that idea - I'll be putting that in a future update!

All the best,