★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Backup game saves easily?

02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Backup game saves easily?

I hosed my iphone config, and tried doing a restore of a backup, but it also restored the problem, so I had to do a fresh restore, which wiped all my game saves.

Is there anything out there to backup saves, or information on how to do it manually?
02-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastymac View Post
I hosed my iphone config, and a restore of a backup restored the problem, so I had to do a fresh restore, which wiped all my game saves.

Is there anything out there to backup saves, or information on how to do it manually?
Welcome to the forums! EDIT: I read your first post wrong. Sorry. Please ignore this post

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
What do you mean by "hosed"?
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
you could jailbreak your iphone and then download a program called Chronus to backup your saved data. you ssh onto your iphone and copy the backup file onto your computer. after the restore of your iphone you can take the backup file and stick it back into the iphone via ssh and then run Chronus again and press restore from backup and it works. ahhhhhhhh the wonders of jailbreaking.
02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I answered my own question with a little googling...

http://supercrazyawesome.com/
Use this tool if you need to extract a backup to retreive saves.

The folders are /Applications/Documents and var/mobile/Documents. Give the Document folders 0777 permissions if needed.

edit: Manolis thanks for the additional info - i'll check out Chronus.
02-24-2009, 09:54 PM
Quote:
I hosed my iphone config, and tried doing a restore of a backup, but it also restored the problem, so I had to do a fresh restore, which wiped all my game saves.

If your phone is jailbroken, a program called Chronus can backup saves for almost every app/game out there, including your SMS/Contacts database, etc.

If not, i don't think there's any other way...although syncing with your iTunes i believe saves data for some games, so that if you have to restore, transferring those games back to your phone might keep the game saves intact.

Last edited by jcde7ago; 02-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.
02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
don't know about you, when this happened, I synched the games in again (under your device a tab called applications in itunes) and had all data
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Quote:
edit: Manolis thanks for the additional info - i'll check out Chronus.
np just here to help.
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hero View Post
don't know about you, when this happened, I synched the games in again (under your device a tab called applications in itunes) and had all data
I did this to get my apps back to my iphone, but it didn't include the saves.

edit: Nice howto : http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...elatively.html

Last edited by tastymac; 02-24-2009 at 10:17 PM.
02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Another useful post for locating the cryptic game directories...
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/file-mo...game-data.html