★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Exactly 20.0 MBs

06-15-2010, 11:54 PM
App Exactly 20.0 MBs

Hey,

I just released Suds McKenzie for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Haven't made an official announcement yet in the other forums. I was excited because I thought i got the build under 20.0 megs. If you go to the App Store page http://bit.ly/bgFYSu - it is exactly 20.0 megs.

It won't let me download it thru the 3G network it says I have to switch to wifi... What gives. Close but no cigar I thought the limit was 20.0 megs.. Oh Well.

- Matt
mehware
06-16-2010, 04:14 AM
The limit is quite annoying, it also adds 1 MByte to the submitted zip for whatever reason, so you need to keep it below 18.5 MByte or so. Our games more attract iPod players so we have not seen huge increase in downloads when switching our game GraalOnline Classic to below 20 MByte.
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. Ground Effect is well under 10mb and apart from other devs being impressed at the sheer genius of it, I'm not sure that it makes a lot of difference to sales. (Although, who knows). I don't remember if it was about Ground Effect or some other title, but I recall that someone commented on iTunes that so little megabyte-age for the money was a rip-off. Can't please them all I guess.
06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I actually spent a fair amount of time on my engine to allow for things to be done procedurally instead of loading things into memory. Cut the executable down to 12 megs even though we have a ton of animation and high res artwork. Looks like non engineering people won't appreciate it