★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Enigma Machine another awesome word game

02-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Enigma Machine another awesome word game

I remember seeing this one come out a week ago or so and from screenshots and from app store description still hadn't a clue what to do other than your supposed to deciper a code or word. Maybe I thought you unscramble a word like in Muddled, Million Dollar Password or TextTwist Turbo but it's not like that at all.

Finally Enigma Machine lite version comes out and there are instructions within and I love it. Instant purchase for me at $2 for full version of Enigma Machine. Now you might think this is a clone of the classic Mastermind (Masterbrain is my favorite version on iphone) game but with letters. Well not exactly since in Mastermind you can go through the process of elimination by putting say all blues to eliminate that color. In Enigma Machine every guess requires a valid word. If your trying to guess what 5 letter word it is then you MUST guess a 5 letter word each time. On the ticker it shows how many letters are correct (nothing to do with positioning like in Mastermind) just saying those letters are contained within the word your trying to decode. Then on the paper thing tap it for fullscreen history of your words. Tap once to mark red and tap again to mark green. On the right side it'll show the # of correct guesses of letters if any within that word. This is useful for identifying correct letters. Then on the typewriter keys you can mark green /red letters your absolutely sure of.

Anyway I watched Valkyrie tonight and was pumped I guess with the WWII Hilter theme so maybe I got over excited a bit. Quick note for those trying the lite version and think it's easy you are correct 3 letter words are super easy. 4 letter word will give you much more of a challenge. Five letter words are even more so. So the lite version is just showing you how it plays.

Developer has a nice video on his site showing gameplay which I can't remember if it was there on launch day or not.

Last edited by salsamd; 03-30-2009 at 12:38 PM.
02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the review. I've been eyeing this since it came out. I guess I'll pick it up tonight.

02-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Interesting twist to Mastermind.

I love the game and hate it at the same time.

This leaves me on the fence about a word version of the same..

I think I'll watchlist it for awhile and add the lite to my backlog for now.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

Last edited by Donburns99; 02-25-2009 at 02:53 AM.
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
On sale for $1...still one of my favorite word games. Like I said previously lite version doesn't do it justice though since 3 letters words aren't any fun. Only gets you used to the idea and controls / elimination methods, etc. 4 and 5 letters words though are fun and a challenge to solve.
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I am not sure of the historical accuracy of this game!!!
03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Nice find.
Downloading now.
So many games So many Games!

Check us out in the new book 500 Things to Eat Before its too Late by James Beard Lifetime Achievment Award Winners and Authors of the Roadfood column in Gourmet Magazine, Jane and Michael Stern. This is BIG people!!
Read About us in the SJ Mercury News
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I am not sure of the historical accuracy of this game!!!
Historical accuracy? I guess you're right...Hill Billy provides an accurate depiction of the Hatfields and McCoys, while Galaxy on Fire is a realistic one of our current economy (at least in name).

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-30-2009 at 01:11 PM.
03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
@ mrbass

Nice find.

I like the lite version. Interesting gameplay and a nice production.

Does the full version have statistics or something?

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
03-30-2009, 03:24 PM
It doesn't keep track of stats. Gives you a ranking like 6 or 7 after you complete each word.
03-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Is this tougher than mastermind? I loved that game for a while, but it got boring once I figured out how to beat it every time.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0