★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.07 - Jump the Shark!

View Poll Results: What icon should be shipped with 1.08?
Original Icon 11 5.39%
Pygmies on Fire! 12 5.88%
Electrocuted! 16 7.84%
Watching the Sunset 16 7.84%
Running from a Boulder 9 4.41%
Eaten by a Shark! 140 68.63%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll
02-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Pocket God 1.07 - Jump the Shark!

Hey Everyone, we submitted our newest update on Sunday again, this one will be all about sharks! You can feed the pygmies to the sharks by dangling them over the water, or you can drop a shark on the pygmies head and watch him run around in a panic before being swallowed!

This week was a challenge because we were really busy, each update keep adding more code to manage and it gets tougher and tougher to still make changes at the pace that we are used to. I finally added all the textures to our new texture atlas technique and was able to save a bunch of memory by cropping each image to its smallest area of visible pixels. It actually looks really cool.

So, after this, our memory is back to 15 megs, from 21 megs for the last update, we will still need to optimize more, probably convert everything to 16 bit for our next update. that would double the space we could use for textures and should last a while before we need to optimize again.

We did succeed in submitting our update at midnight instead of 3:00am which was awesome, I have a 12 hour day at a clients office on Mondays so it was a lot easier than the two weeks before. Hopefully we can keep it up, seems like its always tempting to think your ahead and leave things to the last minute.

One thing that has been a bit irritating this week was users with jailbroken phones and a ton of homebrew that have been complaining about their phones crashng (about 5 per day). One guy in particular, pirated our game and then had the nerve to ask for support because his game was crashing! After fixing his game, I had the feeling that he didn't pay for it and sure enough he said he didn't. I guess I'm not judging because I have been a bit torrent addict in the past but I don't think I would ever ask for support if something wasnt working. I would know that dealing with homebrew might make the phone unstable and play around with it until it worked for me.

I ended up helping him (and the others) anyway because I feel it gives us a good reputation and helps to spread the word. Most devs would just say "We dont support jailbroken phones" but when one of these guys complains on a board, the rest of the users don't understand that our game normally doesnt crash so we have to address it.

I also mentioned at the end of the last thread that we are going to be doing a different kind of update for the next one, I think Allan will add a bunch of cool idles for the pygmies and we will add a menu that allows you to enable/disable all the functionality in the game. We will also add more polish to the existing features and address some of the requests that you guys have had (gravity-boulder). We will also use the menu to start creating categories of hazzard that migth include a foreground water hazard (shark), an island hazard (boulder), a background hazard (volcano), new weather modes, etc.

Let me know what you guys think!
02-25-2009, 04:13 AM
i think u need to raise the price for 2 or 3 bucks!

02-25-2009, 04:21 AM
Update sounds great, and the next one as well. Looking at the new image atlas, a lot of the images are dealing with the sharks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericxd View Post
i think u need to raise the price for 2 or 3 bucks!
No, not yet at least. If Pocket God and iDracula are number 2 and number 1 in the US top 10, raising the price will lower the rank of Pocket God.
Instead, iDracula is at $0,99 and that's supposed to be an introduction price, so if the price of iDracula will go up, Pocket God may become #1!

Stefan
02-25-2009, 04:23 AM
I think you deserve to be a saint for supporting pirates, especially those who openly admit that they haven't paid for the game!!!! It's costing you your own time to investigate and he doesn't pay for it???! What f$&"ing cheek!!!!!
It's not like it's a huge price either!!!

Sorry that really irritated me. I started a clean slate on buying apps for iPhone as it's so cheap and I can review and request support/bugfixes/give feedback with a clear conscience, and it's for the better.

Anyway, love how you posted all the animations... Just goes to show how much work your team put into this.... All for a measly dollar!!!!
I also think you could raise the price, but probably give a timeframe so those on the fence have a last chance to get it cheaper.
02-25-2009, 06:03 AM
When I first bought the app, I wasn't sure if I would like it or if I would play it for more than 3 minutes. Was I wrong! I love it and really enjoy playing. I am looking forward to the updates and I do think this app deserves to be #1.
02-25-2009, 06:43 AM
You guys are awesome! And your game is so sweeeet As for the icon i think its a good idea to continue the path of changing icons with every new addition (i know you can do that because you are totally creative ).
02-25-2009, 07:00 AM
Oooh. Can't wait to feed my pygmies to sharks. Sounds sort if manical (sorry can't spell) but will add lots of fun

Plus+ Name: kuler51
OpenFeint Name: kuler51
--Add Me--
02-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I bought this a few days ago after reading about it. I love the game and think it has great production value, I just feel it needs something else to do or work towards, once you do everything there is to do there isn't much else...

Oh and the boulder falls into the water when it is still on the land (near the edges, but there is still land there).

Keep up the updates and all.
02-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkiphone View Post
I think you deserve to be a saint for supporting pirates, especially those who openly admit that they haven't paid for the game!!!! It's costing you your own time to investigate and he doesn't pay for it???! What f$&"ing cheek!!!!!
It's not like it's a huge price either!!!

Sorry that really irritated me. I started a clean slate on buying apps for iPhone as it's so cheap and I can review and request support/bugfixes/give feedback with a clear conscience, and it's for the better.

Anyway, love how you posted all the animations... Just goes to show how much work your team put into this.... All for a measly dollar!!!!
I also think you could raise the price, but probably give a timeframe so those on the fence have a last chance to get it cheaper.
I am with you on everything there, it is pathetic that people are so cheap to pirate the game to save one dollar, and then they have the nerve to ask for support, it really tells you how cheap some of the people are out there

iMob friend code: 100143586, name: The G0dfather
02-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Your next update sounds perfect and might be just right for people who complained about the no menu. Good luck and keep it up, you'll make it to #1 soon enough

What are the idels gonna be?

Recommended Games: JunkJack