★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: On Sale now, Limited time SALE! 50% off! Dont miss out.

Ex-mercenary ZIC now has to stop the Devil to save the Continent!
If you are interest in specific class, You should enjoy the Sorcerer Edition, Hunter Edition and Full Version.

The story of Chronicle of ZIC revolves around the main character ZIC whose destiny is saving the Parcas continent from the Devil scheme of Raycan and Phillip II. ZICs journey through adventurous destiny is not only about the battle versus various enemies but also love, work, help and various missions to amplify his abilities and level.

Chronicle of ZIC: Knight Edition
ZIC Knight Edition is action RPG game that user can play only as Knight among three basic classes of Knight, Hunter, and Sorcerer. Player can grow ones own character by fighting against various tribes like Undead, Dragon, Elf and Devil in the massive map of Parcas Continent.

To maximize action RPGs exiting points, Chronicle of ZIC applied many new systems and functions:
- NEW! Class change and upgrades: you can select better class and obtain upgraded skills.
- Reinforcement of elements: available when full score is achieved (even when you are in party quest and dungeon).
- Special items: for full level achievers
- Thousands of items
- Item modifiers and attributes: item combination and the ability changes (ex: Angelic Swords power rises when you attach magical stone item)

NOW We updated to v.1.1.0.

v1.1.1 Update List
- U.S. retranslation.
- Added a Auto-trace.
- Fixed phrase.

Krollx's comments:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chronicle-zic-knight-edition/id377139204?mt=8#

What caught my eye was:
"- NEW! Class change and upgrades: you can select better class and obtain upgraded skills."
06-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krollx View Post
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chronicle-zic-knight-edition/id377139204?mt=8#

What caught my eye was:
"- NEW! Class change and upgrades: you can select better class and obtain upgraded skills."
toftt impressions soon

06-16-2010, 11:57 PM

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
06-17-2010, 12:02 AM
I'd love to, but i have one last final exam on saturday . I'll pick it up soon
06-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krollx View Post
I'd love to, but i have one last final exam on saturday . I'll pick it up soon
Don't

Its horrible. The menu randomly glitches up and switches to a diffrent language. The font in the game is actually a bit unreadable. This has to be the worst translated game I have ever played.

Although its not a biggy, gear does not reflect on your character model. I actually didn't have a shield or sword equipped and the character still walked around with one on the screen. Anyways... long story / short pass this game up.
06-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Damn.. sad to hear that
06-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Nice game !!! Graphics and gameplay are beautiful, I'd like to know more about the story of this game.
06-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Nice game !!! Graphics and gameplay are beautiful, I'd like to know more about the story of this game.
ditto.
06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
Don't

Its horrible. The menu randomly glitches up and switches to a diffrent language. The font in the game is actually a bit unreadable. This has to be the worst translated game I have ever played.

Although its not a biggy, gear does not reflect on your character model. I actually didn't have a shield or sword equipped and the character still walked around with one on the screen. Anyways... long story / short pass this game up.
thanks, art looks nice, too bad.
06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
So I downloaded this, I'm a sucker for RPG games. So far, it's really not that bad. At this price point, it's not that expensive either, so it was a no-brainer for me.

The translation is a bit off sometimes, and the way the text is written can be a bit strange. For example, you might see the text box say:

"that is why he went out to the barn, because he was looking for a ne"

It leaves me wondering who was in charge of localization, because some of the copy in the game is poorly translated like jsrco said. For example, you might see:

"If you are looking for the new stuff you can find it all here!"

It's not nonsense, but it's not localized very well at all. I've definitely seen worse translations in games before, but this stands out as an example of a very poor job translating. A review on the app store pegged it simply by saying that there are times where it looks like they simply used Google to translate what they were trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
The font in the game is actually a bit unreadable.
I agree, the choice of fonts in this game was a bit odd. The cursive font, in reverse type (white text on colored backgrounds) is actually a bit unreadable in some spots. And it's a simple matter of poor font choice, where "job" can look like "lob" very easily.

Quote:
game: "This sounds like I will have a lob for me!"
me: "umm... what?"
game: "Am for to not the best translate. Sorry for english, it is not first langua"
me: "I see that."
I also have something against games that are, how should I put this... "sped up". I understand idle animations, but when your character or an NPC is standing there, it would be nice to see them look about or move about in a normally paced, natural way. This is one of those games where everyone's idle animation, and for that matter many of the animations in the game, is sped up so incredibly fast; it looks silly. I just can't understand why everyone looks like they're vibrating quickly, why not slow the frame rate down a tad so that they don't all appear to be on speed.

I'm also a huge music/ambient noise buff in games. Part of the experience, even on a cell phone, is the sound of the game. This game doesn't have terrible music, don't get me wrong, but the music is looped so quickly that it sounds botchy and dated. I've seen 8-bit games orchestrate a more fluid soundtrack than this, so there's no excuse other than this was probably made for a much less capable phone so now it stands out as a flaw. Especially when you compare this to other RPG games that stand out in a staggering way in terms of audio immersion like the Arvale games (some of my favorite, going back to my PDA), Chaos Rings, FFI and II, or Wesnoth.

At root, this is a port. I have a huge list of RPG's I've purchased for the iDevice, so this isn't a regret for me. I'll enjoy it, and at the low price point of only 2 McChicken sandwiches at McDonalds this is very very cheap. I've purchased candy bars that were more than this game, and those candy bars were gone much faster than this game will be. I just see the trend of quick conversions getting bigger, and when companies port mobile games over to the iDevice but don't take the time or finesse to do it well, the otherwise simple mistakes become glaring reminders of the sloppy conversion.

The music could be much much better, or at least looped in a way that makes it much more fluid. The art for the game is very nice actually, but the animation could slow down a bit for my liking. The translation is sloppy, not ridiculous but sloppy none the less. However with such a bad localization comes some pretty funny lines, like:

"Hero? What a non-sense!" or "Such a job to a woman!"

Sure, Yakov Smirnoff translated a Korean RPG that originally ran on the RAZR and brought it to the iDevice with some transparent controls and 5 poorly looped 16-bit, 8 channel tracks... And sure, there is much much much better fare in the App Store than this, if you're looking to wet your whistle with a well made RPG... But if you've got 2 bucks to spend and you're looking for a game that's actually relatively well-made just not well-ported this isn't a bad way to waste some time.

Last edited by sushibox; 06-17-2010 at 11:23 AM.