★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

06-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]

Yeah, I know there are other avatar threads, but most of them seem to be from sometime last year/months ago.

I was wondering why this forum doesn't allow avatars for normal members, since every other forum I've been on does. If there's a concern about distinguishing devs from members, then give them a banner like they do on other forums to distinguish Moderators/Admins/other special members from normal ones.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

'A delayed game is bad for now, but a bad game is bad forever' - Shigeru Miyamoto
06-18-2010, 09:17 AM
The bottom line is... the admins don't think we can be trusted not to post penises, and the iPhone browser sucks so much that one extra avatar would cause it to cave in on itself and implode taking the OS with it.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
The bottom line is... the admins don't think we can be trusted not to post penises, and the iPhone browser sucks so much that one extra avatar would cause it to cave in on itself and implode taking the OS with it.
Really? I've browsed a good few forums on my iPhone browser with avatars and I haven't noticed real slowdowns, iirc. Though maybe slow in my opinion is different than others. /shrug

As for the first point...eh. This community is more mature than most of the ones I've been on, but if the admins don't think so...

'A delayed game is bad for now, but a bad game is bad forever' - Shigeru Miyamoto
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
It would make the forums seem cluttered. I think avatars are useless anyway.

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vester View Post
It would make the forums seem cluttered. I think avatars are useless anyway.
Looking at the developers' forum (where most members have avatars), it doesn't really look cluttered at all.

06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
My phone loads the avatars really well. It loads my image-heavy site quickly too. I don't see what the problem is?

And I'm so used to looking at some sort of identification to tell members apart... Like avatars or signatures... A name doesn't give me much.
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
yeah..an avatar would be nice. gives everyone more identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGameLover1 View Post
Um, to work it out, you need a chick for that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo View Post
heh heh, not necessarily....
06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduku View Post
Really? I've browsed a good few forums on my iPhone browser with avatars and I haven't noticed real slowdowns, iirc. Though maybe slow in my opinion is different than others. /shrug

As for the first point...eh. This community is more mature than most of the ones I've been on, but if the admins don't think so...
Not my words, but those are the suspected reasons every time this crops up. The real reason is probably so lame they won't admit to it.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
06-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
The bottom line is... the admins don't think we can be trusted not to post penises
They know me all too well, those admins.