★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Picross games.

02-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Picross games.

If you want to know what Picross is, go to http://www.wiipicross.com (so named because it was designed to browse on your Wii and play).

I've played ALL of them (ALL) that are available at the appstore and will update this thread with my impressions of all of them in the next few days.

Winner:

PixelCross - $3 - Took me hours upon hours to finish. 180 levels. This is Picross perfection, controls are spot-on, large board on a small screen no problem. This is THE best Picross game in the store (and I have played Picross A LOT, including a bunch of DS Picross games).

Lite version

Runner up:

Glyphos - $1 - Picross with colors. Has 200 puzzles (I'm about 75% done). The squares are so small sometimes you overswipe but it's seviceable. Really hard puzzles, too. A ton of bang for your buck here.

Honorable mention:
PicGrid - $2 - Finished it in a couple of days. Thought I would finish it in one so it gave me double the entertainment expected! My suggestions:

- More levels, of course.
- Hide the description of what the image is (i.e. ????) until solved.
- Get rid of the screen in-between the picture list and the puzzle.
- Add buttons (even a small + and -) for next and previous puzzle.
- Start the puzzle zoomed out instead of zoomed in.
- Get rid of double-tap to zoom, since it kept zooming me in when I just wanted to select a square.

The amount of time it took me to finish should not be held as average, I've done thousands of Picross puzzles in my lifetime

I'll be posting the ugly soon enough

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-25-2009 at 09:20 PM.
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
did you try jabeh? I know it's not exactly the same game, but similar in spirit.

02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
did you try jabeh? I know it's not exactly the same game, but similar in spirit.
I got the Lite and really didn't get it and wasn't interested enough to try Didn't feel like a "true" Picross game.
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I love these types of games but none of them on iphone yet I'm too excited about after trying some of the demos. They still don't hold a candle to the caliber that was on the DS. Still hoping though. Picross lite seemed ok but only could try 5x5 which gave me zero indication of how zoom and panning works in larger puzzles.

Also PatternManiak (also part of PuzzleManiak) which exists but I'd wait for a interface overhaul before considering that one.

Puzzle Series 6
Illalogi and
Illust Logic and English review
Picross
02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
PatternManiak is one of the ugly ones

If you haven't tried PixelCross Lite, do it!
02-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Yea that PixelCross Lite is the one I meant only 5 x 5 in the demo. Yes Patternmaniak is ugly I agree. Like I said none of them on iphone I'd get at this point in time. Think we'll have to wait for hudson or another Japanese publisher to release a decent one.
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I got the Lite and really didn't get it and wasn't interested enough to try Didn't feel like a "true" Picross game.
Jabeh != Picross

It's more of an amalgam of Picross and Minesweeper or Nurikabe. You should get it, though, Deb. I really think you'd enjoy it.
02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Jabeh != Picross

It's more of an amalgam of Picross and Minesweeper or Nurikabe. You should get it, though, Deb. I really think you'd enjoy it.
I LOVE Picross, Nurikabe, and Minesweeper, and DID play and hated Jabeh
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Yea that PixelCross Lite is the one I meant only 5 x 5 in the demo. Yes Patternmaniak is ugly I agree. Like I said none of them on iphone I'd get at this point in time. Think we'll have to wait for hudson or another Japanese publisher to release a decent one.
The zooming on PixelCross is AWESOME. It's the ONLY good zooming on a Picross game in the store. I have paid for about 6-7 Picross games and I only play 3, so I'm picky, and PixelCross is my #1 Picross app
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
ok gonna email the devs and ask them to put in a couple higher puzzles in the demo so I can check it out then. Thanks GatorDeb.