★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

5 star ratings/reviews keep the updates coming!

06-19-2010, 10:07 AM
5 star ratings/reviews keep the updates coming!

Some apps mention something like this (e.g., Doodle Jump) in their update descriptions.

How do you react to it? Is it insulting? Do you submit a 5 star rating/review for the update if you like the game?

I've been thinking of saying something like this for DropZap updates, but perhaps it might not be a good match for most people who like DropZap.
06-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I in general do find it when they do that I lose respect for them and I then pull off a epic facepalm. Do they really need to beg people for 5 star ratings? Why not make a game that is deserving 5 star ratings from everyone? Phoenix Wright and LASW is perfect examples that if made well they will get 99% 5 star ratings because they deserve it without the need for mindless begging.

I may just start giving 1 star ratings to games that begs for 5 stars from the consumer because that's just sad.

06-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post

I may just start giving 1 star ratings to games that begs for 5 stars from the consumer because that's just sad.
I wouldn't go that far, because sometimes the games really are deserving of 5 stars, but I have never left a 5 star review because the dev begged me too.
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Well I think that DoodleJump id doing all right with that slogan!

They were the first one who used it, and it is quite a slogan for "DoodleJump"!

All the other who are using it: Uargh! Hate it!
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM
How about we ignore what the developer posts and give the app the rating it deserves?
06-19-2010, 07:48 PM
why does it matter? You can leave whatever rating you want. nobody gets hurts or dies. apparently we live in a world where people find everything insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGameLover1 View Post
Um, to work it out, you need a chick for that.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo View Post
heh heh, not necessarily....
06-19-2010, 07:53 PM
The reason that this works for Doodle Jump is because Doodle Jump has "frequent" updates with lots of content; same goes with All in 1 GameBox

Beta Tested: iBetatest+Running with Scissors, iBlast Moki, IMO, 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011, Zenonia 2, Touch the Beat Beta Testing: Pentagon Defense
06-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
How about we ignore what the developer posts and give the app the rating it deserves?
You deserve an Award. +1
06-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJP99 View Post
why does it matter? You can leave whatever rating you want. nobody gets hurts or dies. apparently we live in a world where people find everything insulting.
I don't get insulted by it, its just really pathetic. It reminds me of the people who come into my work making a scene in a attempt to get things discounted. Most likely they get paid a lot more than I do but when I go buy things I don't get down on my hands and knees and kiss their feet to try to shave off $3.

Id sooner start cutting off my man parts before I reduce myself to their level.
06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I think it's ridiculous. They're basically saying "if you didn't like the game, give it 5 stars so we'll update it and maybe make it good enough for you".

It's disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
It is really expensive when you take into account that I spend over 40 a month on games for my iPhone. Get a clue.