★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You are the last surviving member of a UNMC rescue party. Your whole squad murdered by hostile alien life forms. Surrounded, they are attacking you from all sides. The only option is to fight, take as many of them with you as you can.

Turn the marine with the on screen controls, the accelerometer, compass, or gyroscope to get an alien in your sights. Wait for the scanner to lock on, press shoot and boom! No more alien

Your shotgun shells are your life, run out and you won't survive the next close encounter. When an alien gets too close you use up one shell defending yourself. Every 500 points you get an extra shell, if you can survive that long

Alien Horde is a frantic arcade shooter. The aim, kill as many aliens as you can before they kill you. Every time you kill an alien the rest get smarter, quicker and more cunning making the game progressively harder as the assault goes on. Compare your scores with our online database to see if you have what it takes to become the best of the best.

You can play in both portrait and landscape mode, including being able to switch between the two modes in game. Alien Horde utilizes the full capabilities of your hardware to bring a unique set of controls for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. If you have a compass the game will let you simulate the real world actions of the Alien Horde motion sensor, although we recommend this is used only for fun or in combination with the on screen controls. We don't want you getting dizzy playing the game!

You can also use the accelerometer to play the game, tilting the device left or right to move your marine and aim at the hostiles. Finally there are on screen buttons in both portrait and landscape mode which allow you to turn, shoot, mute and pause the game.

Quit the game and Alien Horde will save your progress allowing you to pick up the fight exactly where you left off.

Good luck soldier, you'll need it!

* Compass feature is only available to supporting devices
** Gyroscope feature is only available to supporting devices

Email support@alienhorde.com if you have any questions, suggestions or comments

shadowmatt's comments:
Hi

Im the developer of a new iPhone and iPod Touch game called Alien Horde. Its a Space Invaders style arcade shooter but with a familiar twist. Let me know what you think...

You can visit the website here http://www.alienhorde.com/ and the itunes link here.

06-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Some Pictures

It went live Saturday morning and is in the New & Noteworthy section for Games > Action for the UK store.

Last edited by shadowmatt; 06-20-2010 at 06:48 PM.

06-20-2010, 06:34 PM
looks great ill get when ill have money

Last edited by iDRevolution; 06-20-2010 at 06:49 PM.
06-20-2010, 07:52 PM
here the gameplay vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVMzUevcpKE

reminds me of Cowovans or something...

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -

Last edited by dyscode; 06-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.
06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Looks great, and kudos on sticking to the concept consistently throughout execution. Unfortunately, I got bored before the end of the video. May still pick this up as I'm a fan of the movie, but is there anything else to see other than what's in the video? I understand in a way this is about the minimalistic approach, and you've done that well, but I still can't help thinking this is one of those things where I would go "cool," then never play it again after a few minutes.

Hmm. Not sure really. On the one hand it's hard to ask for more content from an app where most of the action (intentionally) plays out in your mind, on the other I feel like I've seen all the game has to offer before playing. Hope I'm wrong.
06-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey Gabrien

I suppose playing it will be more interesting than watching me playing it badly! But yeah its short and sweet, its meant to be picked up, played and put down a few minutes later. It no more complicated than Space Invaders.

The hook is the high score and world rank system were you are graded in real time so you know how well you are doing. It will also auto save the game so you can stop and start at will. It horizontal and vertical play, vibration, accelerometer and compass control as well.

Its my first game so I intentionally didn't try something too complicated but I polished it as much as I could so the user wouldn't feel ripped off. Thats also why im showing the full game cycle in the video so people will know what they are getting.

I also did design it for people who would appreciate its concept so its definitely not for everyone!

Oh and you probably missed the death sequence, I tried to be a bit duke nukem / evil dead with that.

Last edited by shadowmatt; 06-20-2010 at 08:50 PM.
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Looks great, and kudos on sticking to the concept consistently throughout execution. Unfortunately, I got bored before the end of the video. May still pick this up as I'm a fan of the movie, but is there anything else to see other than what's in the video? I understand in a way this is about the minimalistic approach, and you've done that well, but I still can't help thinking this is one of those things where I would go "cool," then never play it again after a few minutes.

Hmm. Not sure really. On the one hand it's hard to ask for more content from an app where most of the action (intentionally) plays out in your mind, on the other I feel like I've seen all the game has to offer before playing. Hope I'm wrong.
Yeah, I agree. Very good polish and production value, but gameplay just looks like it will get boring after a few min. I appreciate the Aliens familiarity (being a big Alien fan), but it's not enough to carry the game for more than that initial "oh, nice" factor. Not really sure what else you could do with it though given the game's scope.

However, given the amount of polish that went into the game, I look forward to seeing what you do next shadowmatt.
06-20-2010, 08:52 PM
It does get harder the longer you live and you earn lives (shotgun shells) every 500 points.
06-20-2010, 08:59 PM
I'll make you a deal: I'll buy this if you promise to throw in a (fully kitted out) pic of Ripley for next update.

Nah, I picked this up already (who was I kidding?) Won't have time to play for a few hours, but will post impressions later after I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmatt View Post
Hey Gabrien

I suppose playing it will be more interesting than watching me playing it badly! But yeah its short and sweet, its meant to be picked up, played and put down a few minutes later. It no more complicated than Space Invaders.

The hook is the high score and world rank system were you are graded in real time so you know how well you are doing. It will also auto save the game so you can stop and start at will. It horizontal and vertical play, vibration, accelerometer and compass control as well.

Its my first game so I intentionally didn't try something too complicated but I polished it as much as I could so the user wouldn't feel ripped off. Thats also why im showing the full game cycle in the video so people will know what they are getting.

I also did design it for people who would appreciate its concept so its definitely not for everyone!

Oh and you probably missed the death sequence, I tried to be a bit duke nukem / evil dead with that.
06-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Game Impressions

Well, after having a chance to play this, all I can say is it's well put together, highly polished, and watch the video because what you see is what you get. If you're an Alien(s) fan this is well worth a buck and recommended, and even if you're not there're easily thousands of worse ways to spend a buck on the app store.

Also, as far as replay value goes, if you can see yourself playing to beat your scores, it's definitely there.

All in all I got what I expected and glad to have this on my device.