★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Argyle - amazing new puzzle game with a revolutionary twist!

06-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Argyle - amazing new puzzle game with a revolutionary twist!

Hey Everyone,

Check out Argyle, our newest puzzle game for the iPad!

http://itunes.com/apps/argyle

Argyle is an amazing new puzzle game with a revolutionary twist!

Destroy as many tiles as you can by rotating diamond shape groups into matching colors. But, use caution! Each rotation costs one turn, and when your turns run out it's game over. Earn extra turns by scoring big points. How high can you score before all your turns are gone?

Argyle features relaxed, turn-based gameplay that gives you the time you need to plot your strategy. Simple to pick up, but impossible to put down.

Try planning an elaborate high scoring chain combo. Or, go for the simple clears and try to create bonus tiles. Use gravity to create chains, or use Ultra Tiles and destroy entire rows. Vaporize entire colors with the Hyper Tile.

OpenFeint support brings friends, leaderboards, achievements, and more to Argyle and many other App Store games. Collect achievements, compete for a higher standing on the leaderboard, and compare yourself against your friends.

What strategies can you discover to earn your place as an Argyle Master?

Just remember not to run out of turns!

http://www.shiny-soft.com/argyle/
06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Looks interesting, would love to see a video.

06-20-2010, 10:10 PM
That does look rather cool. A video or impressions would be helpful!
06-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Game Impressions

Wow! This game took me by surprise!

While I've long been a fan of my match 3s (okay, technically match 4+ in this case, but you get my drift), the few screenshots I saw for this game admittedly didn't do much for me and the $5 price tag didn't help (fair enough for a HD game, but more than I wanted to venture on an unknown entity), thankfully it was well worth it!

The real basics? Rotate the pieces of any diamond combination of four pieces (just click on the intersection of the four pieces), and rotate them so as to create a solid diamond of 4 pieces of the same color, better yet, if more pieces of the same color are connected to this figure once made, they too will be popped for points. Just like most other games of this type, bigger groups mean bigger points and if you are able to clear multiple diamonds in a single move (either by the initial move or the resulting cascade of pieces), you can make some huge points!

What sets this game apart from many of its ilk is how it is completely untimed. Take as long as you want to plot your move but you'll need to make it count since you only have a very limited supply of moves with bonus moves only handed out if you make enough points from a single move (just making a diamond won't cut it, there will need to be several extra pieces attached or maybe some big cascade). While these extra moves usually just drip in a single +1 move at a time, I once received +5 moves from some huge combo!

Lastly the game has a wide variety of power-ups but, while not sure about this, I think their showing up is tied into how big a move you've made. A small move might grant you a wildcard piece whereas only a much larger move would grant you something like a "x2" multiplier (this being said it might all be in my mind with some of these power-ups just much rarer than others).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
06-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the impressions. /wishlisted
06-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey guys!

Here's a link to a youtube video we put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7SiKBxkSi8

Enjoy the game!
06-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Awesome!

embedded:

Youtube link | Pop Up
06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
I like... Maybe even love match3/4 style games but it needs to be more than just matching crystals or globes. I find there needs to be some form of story, some sort of campaign, something that keeps me playing to some form of climax.

See puzzle quest. That's perhaps the extreme, but even a loosely tied story would do it. Perhaps bonuses as your progress.
06-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chod View Post
I like... Maybe even love match3/4 style games but it needs to be more than just matching crystals or globes. I find there needs to be some form of story, some sort of campaign, something that keeps me playing to some form of climax.

See puzzle quest. That's perhaps the extreme, but even a loosely tied story would do it. Perhaps bonuses as your progress.
Hey Chod!

I love Puzzle Quest, it's a great game. We wanted to focus more on creating an abstract, relaxing game that provides a meditative, yet challenging gameplay structure.

We have some updates planned, but it'll probably be based on enhancing existing gameplay rather than adding story/characters/etc.

Enjoy!
06-25-2010, 08:25 PM
That's fair enough, it certainly looks like you have the gameplay sorted from the vids.