★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: RocketHands
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 15.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: "Insanely Fast, Intensely Addictive and Very Entertaining" --Cult Of Mac

"RocketHands has a real winner with Halogen that is worth the $4.99" --Indie Game Mag, Issue #11

"Its an excellent retro game that feels new because of the touch controls" -- GameTunnel.com

"...perfect for a trip back to when arcade gaming wasn't about polygon count; it was about fun. And boy, is this fun." --Games Uncovered

"Halogen is what would happen if Air Hockey and Galaxian had a baby and bottle fed him with lemonade and sherbet." --Ancient Proverb

Update looming! Discount thrusters active!

Halogen is a fun, fast paced action game which pits you and your pucks against hordes of enemies in a battle to clear a drifting space dreadnought of crazed droids. Deflect your pucks and smash the droids where it hurts! Mow down the enemy onslaught en masse to rack up insane scores! Activate the coloured reactors on each level and liberate enough Halogen elements to shut down each section of the ship, until all that remains is a final inexorable confrontation! In SPAAACE!

Completing levels unlocks them in Practice Mode, which you can then play as little bite sized chunks of fun when you need a quick fix for your Halogen addiction. On the train, in the bath, taking your wedding vows: whenever you need it, Halogen will be there!

But if you are one of those people (and we know you are out there) who are after more of a challenge, more of an epic struggle, more of a masochistic assault on your self esteem, then the challenge of Halogen's single player mode is for you! If Old School were an actual place (which it really should be), then Halogen's single player mode would be its bespectacled disciplinarian headmistress.

Key Features:

Touch Controls:
All you need is a finger, a finger to become an astral bridge between the mundane reality of your worldly existence, and the mass of glowing pixel love that is your paddle. Now smash those pucks!

Single Player Mode:
With 16 levels of pixel pounding action, single player mode is no pushover. You will face a variety of enemies who all have different ideas of how to best dispatch you, and powerful Guardian Bosses armed with devastating attacks.Mercifully, completed levels are available for practice so that you can hone your skills to a needle point before you attempt the real deal.

Infinite Mode:
The only limits here are your reflexes, and the known boundaries of human endurance. Face wave after relentless wave in the quest for the ultimate high score!

Multiplayer Mode:
Two players compete head to head in a traditional Air Hockey style arena. Nothing more, nothing less.

OpenFeint Enabled:
Halogen is OpenFeint Enabled, with both local device and global leaderboards, and achievements to unlock including "Octopucks!", "Smart Bomber", and "100k Club".

AnthonyS's comments:
Hey guys! Big news for the RocketHands crew; our new game, the retro-inspired Halogen, is available on the App Store now! Juicy details to follow:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Plus, more goodies like developer diaries and experimental gameplay footage can be found on our website. Enjoy!
06-21-2010, 10:33 AM
I thought about buying this last night but held off. The only video I could find was of early footage. I think the game looks cool but do you have a more current gameplay video?

Also, what is the two player game like?

06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey BazookaTime!

There's fresh gameplay footage on the way, I'll let you guys know as soon as it's ready.

Multiplayer mode is good old-fashioned air hockey. No frills or spills there!, just classic gameplay enough to make your pixel-loving heart weep with nostalgic joy.

Cheers!

AnthonyS
Aussie App Sale - The Great Aussie App Giveaway is on now! Check our Twitter and Facebook for competition details. Ends Thursday 29th December 2011.
06-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I buy a ton of games but will rarely buy something above a couple of dollars without a gameplay video, lite version or player comments.

That being said, I really like the look of this game and so I bought it.

This is a very polished game. Excellent controls, great graphics, sound and gameplay. I have played the first couple of levels (and then died) and it was a blast. This game plays a little like air hockey meets space invaders. You use your paddle to knock the puck into the enemies/obstacles and try not to get hit or lose your puck. There are power ups and a story that flows along with the game.

I also played the two player mode and it is Avery nice version of air hockey. Openfeint is also supported.

I need to play this more but I am impressed so far.
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
A couple quick notes. In two player mode the paddle (especially blue) doesn't respond to touch as well. Once you get it moving it is fine but i experienced many times when I was unable to move the paddle.

The pause needs to be moved in the multiplayer mode. Touching the back wall on the blue side seems to pause the game. However it is easy to accidentally hit this while playing. I would suggest a small pause button located some where else.
06-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the comments BazookaTime - I have this one wish listed. Been playing a lot of multipong and Foosball HD - this one looks really nice...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I am interested in this game as well, but I will wait for the video to see what the gameplay looks like............I have no problem with the price if it's a good game, but it might be a hard sell at 4.99 with all the competition out there...................or maybe not if it's great...........who really knows

Looks very nice though !
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
BazookaTime: Big thanks for the feedback and our first official bug report! Brad (our lead designer) read your post and sent me a half dozen frantic emails to say that he's totally on the case already, coding fingers flying and Van Halen roaring in the headphones. Expect a bug-fix update to be released soon!

AnthonyS
Aussie App Sale - The Great Aussie App Giveaway is on now! Check our Twitter and Facebook for competition details. Ends Thursday 29th December 2011.
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
And here it is, just for cranker and everyone else that found themselves thinking, "Gosh, I sure wish these screenshots would move!"

The Halogen Trailer video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Enjoy!

AnthonyS
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice video Anthony - going to be thinking hard on this one.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer