★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Alpine Racer by Namco

02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Alpine Racer by Namco

Alpine Racer, an arcade classic, is making its way to the iPhone late this week or early next. Pocket Gamer has been all over this and comments that it posesses some SSX style gameplay. It'll be nice to get a quality winter sports title.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Screenshots:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhon...ws.asp?c=11795

and Coverage:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhon...ws.asp?c=11742

Last edited by salsamd; 02-26-2009 at 11:01 AM.
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
no offense to namco, but their games are extremely badd.... okay that might have been offensive to them but I speak the truth!

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago

02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Namco... what their poster game? y'know, like mario to nintendo, sonic to sega...

I keep thinking of them as Capcom, who should be writing games
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo19 View Post
no offense to namco, but their games are extremely badd.... okay that might have been offensive to them but I speak the truth!
I think their goal is to reach out to 20-35 year olds who spent many hours as children in the local arcade. The nostalgia of having the classics of my teen years with me in long business meetings makes me very cheerful.
02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
You know I keep seeing the Mr. Driller dude. He's on billboards in Pole Position. I know Star Trigon is a close relative, but I want to see Mr. Driller on the iphone!

MacBookPro 17" 2.33, 23" LCD, Ipod Touch 1st Gen- JB'd, Iphone 3g - not JB'd----yet.
02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Quote:
are you sure Pablo?

they only created:

Galaga and Galaxian
Pac man
Dig Dug
Pole Position
Ridge Racer
Soul Caliber(!)
Xeno Saga
Ace Combat

to name a few. i grew up with many of those games and they certainly didn't suck. they would be in the video game hall of fame for sure.

you're entitled to your opinion tho...

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...
02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
they only created:

Galaga and Galaxian
Pac man
Dig Dug
Pole Position
Ridge Racer
Soul Caliber(!)
Xeno Saga
Ace Combat
No Tekken?

It's ok, I know you said to name a few, but that one's a no brainer. I can't really speak for the newer versions, but if the iPhone got a version of Tekken 3 I'd be all over it... bad controls or not!
02-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Screens look ok,i'll wait for a video but I love snowboarding/skiing games so I'll probably grab it.

And the whole Ipotch thing...ughh, not only does it not make sense and not only is iPod or Touch easier to write, but it's just one of those gross looking and sounding words that will never catch on.
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
The games they've released on this platform are to hearken to those gamers who wish for arcade experiences. Hence Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Star Trigon (vastly underrated, IMHO), Pole Position Remix, Time Crisis, and now this.

And you speaketh nonsense, pablo, just as you do with your "ipotch" nonsense that no one but you and your mushy brained acolytes herald . I kid, I kid.

But the truth is, quality is subjective at best. IMHO, all of Namco's games thus far have been of good to great quality on this platform.
I like to disagree (I really do) The target audience is as the other guy said (I know he has a name ) 35-40 year olds, and the quality of games from that time period is for today's standarts, pretty bad. We are watching this from a completely different perspective, and I'm putting you down on my list of "ipotch" sayers wether you like it or not!

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Quote:
I agree, i felt ripped off on time crisis