★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: XS Games
  • Genre: Action
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 180 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Beautiful and elegantly executed Red Star is among the finest beat em up games on the iPhone. 4 out of 4 (Must Have)
-Slide to Play (http://www.slidetoplay.com)

This is a great action title offering an intense mix of fighting, shooting and adventure. 4/5 Stars
-TouchGen (http://www.touchgen.com)

The cult classic The Red Star finally comes to iPhone / iPod touch! If you missed it on PlayStation2 or PSP, here is your
chance to experience the unforgettable combination of intense brawler action and mesmerizing gunplay that made it one of the most critically acclaimed games of its era. Proudly old school and relentless entertaining, this is a FULL game for
only $4.99!

Based on the rich lore of Christian Gossetts celebrated graphic novel of the same name, The Red Star takes place in a
war-torn, technologically advanced land known as the United Republics of the Red Star (URRS), a place reminiscent of Soviet era Russia. In this world, the URRS maintains control over their people through forceful use of their technologically advanced army, an army made even more powerful by the use of sorcerers, soldiers trained to wage war through the use of mystical powers. However, the URRSs power is not confined merely to military strength. The nation holds a dark secret about how it actually maintains its might, that when revealed by The Red Stars main characters leaves them no choice but to fight the URRS head on.

People can play through The Red Stars complex universe as one of three characters pulled directly from the graphic novel.
Initially, players can choose to play as either Kyuzo, a highly-trained soldier of unequaled power, or Makita, a swift and
lethal freedom fighter. Later on, players have the opportunity to unlock and play as Maya Antares, one of the URRSs most
skilled sorceresses.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:
Full Version

Lite Version

06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
PS2 Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by DaveMc99; 06-21-2010 at 09:11 PM.

06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Been waiting for months on this one. Glad it's finally out (well, the lite version anyway).
06-21-2010, 09:22 PM
I think I'll give this a spin. Itlooked pretty fun when I saw the featured article on the front page.
06-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Send a message via AIM to FinalGamerAC
Looks good, never had a chance to play it when I had a PS2. If I remember correctly this game was recieved with mixed reactions and stood out as a niche/cult game? Looks good enough to me as long as it doesn't control poorly. I can't download it right now so feedback on the controls at some point would be nice.

Last edited by FinalGamerAC; 06-21-2010 at 09:26 PM.
06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
really? I played xbox version,and love it very much
06-21-2010, 09:42 PM
it's a really nice file size when unzipped on the iphone at well over 230MB. That is pretty large for a lite version of a game. Makes me wonder how big the full version will be unzipped.

Edit: Playing the first level and it's touch anywhere on the screen to bring up the a joystick control. So far it's very responsive on a 3gs phone and it very action packed.

Last edited by radchad1; 06-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.
06-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radchad1 View Post
it's a really nice file size when unzipped on the iphone at well over 230MB. That is pretty large for a lite version of a game. Makes me wonder how big the full version will be unzipped.

Edit: Playing the first level and it's touch anywhere on the screen to bring up the a joystick control. So far it's very responsive on a 3gs phone and it very action packed.
Yeah -- it's a good game. Still getting used to the double-tap targeting control, but I'm sure that will get easier (I've only played for 5 minutes or so). Will pick up the full version as soon as it's available.
06-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Glad they brought at least something out for it. Been waiting for this one for a while and even thought it had been canceled

Downloading whenever my iOS 4 update decides to play nice

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Yeah -- it's a good game. Still getting used to the double-tap targeting control, but I'm sure that will get easier (I've only played for 5 minutes or so). Will pick up the full version as soon as it's available.
The double-tapping to target is...odd. I think the bigger problem is having to face the target. The whole thing feels unwieldy and I don't think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Definitely an ambitious game, but I am less than impressed after the initial 5 minutes. Framerate begins to chug with more than 3 enemies on screen (on a 3rd gen Touch,) making movement and targeting even more problematic.

I'm sure this will impress those with the "wow, it's a console game on my phone" mentality, but considering that by console standards this would be well below average, I'd rather have less ambitious games on my phone that run smoother and control better.