★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

the sales number is too bad,need some advices

06-21-2010, 10:00 PM
the sales number is too bad,need some advices

this game spent us 12 person,3 months to finish,and the best we got is 12 download a day in us.

here is the game video and itune's info

Youtube link | Pop Up

also a lite version,but still no use

please tell me, why this game' sale so bad? is the name? the icon? the screenshot? the description? the gameplay? the music? the art style? or anything?

please,I need some advices,thanks a lot

Last edited by kongzhong; 07-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
06-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Honestly I think the game looks great with a lot of polish.

The "problem", imo, with many games like this is that they end up targeting the same audience that 90-95%% of the entire app store attempts to target -- the casual, pick up and play crowd. While these games CAN succeed, there are so many of them that target the same group, its VERY rare that you become the next fruit ninja or angry birds or doodle jump. It is extremely difficult to stand out in this group, not to mention the casual gamer crowd (for the most part) is not the crowd to go out and research and find new and interesting games (so if you're not featured by apple, your chance for success is VERY slim). They're going to pick up whats on the new and noteworthy list or is ranked high.

I personally think there is quite a living to be made in the middle ground targeting either the hardcore gamer, or the pick up and play "gamer" group (people who enjoy hardcore games, but in a pick up and play package because they just don't have the time to really game).

Also there are several things you can still try, such as dropping to $.99 (we dropped from 2.99 to .99 and saw HUGE success for a solid 2.5 weeks). We have also just recently resurrected our game sales again having done the FAAD campaign... you could try something similar on your own by going free for a weekend.

06-21-2010, 10:35 PM
Quote:
this game spent us 12 person,3 months to finish
12 people, really? I think you should look into dividing your team into smaller groups and producing more games simultaneously. You won't earn enough to cover the costs otherwise...

I can't say there's anything wrong with your game... Maybe the description could be better (you repeat the game name too much, and the text is not very engaging) or you could have a better icon (between the complex drawing and the OpenFeint logo, it's a bit hard to read); but probably, given the current state of the Appstore, your price point has a lot to do with it. There are a ton of these sort of casual games on the App Store for 99c or even free! So, unless you have "the next Doodle Jump" it's very, very hard to compete.

For this type of highscore-based, no-levels games, I would only go for 99c (unless you have something really special).

Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
06-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I think your game looks fine. It's only been out a week and there's still a chance of it getting featured. It took more than a month before I got one of my games featured.

I also think the 12-person team is a bit too much. I hope they were working on tools and libraries that'll help you quickly pump out your next few games.
06-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Kongzhong,

Game design, game design , game design! Conveyer-belt four colour match system over and over again! Why bother having different levels when your group constantly uses the same delivery system. This game delivery system becomes annoying after a short while. Spice it up! So many other ways to deliver the motion of the chickens in this matching puzzle game.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
06-21-2010, 11:13 PM
thanks all guys, 12 people , half of them is part time ,but still, this game cost more than I have excepted. most time was spent on making animations of all the chickens,pigs to make them look cute

and the game do have levels, its 8 stage now, and will add more,also "vs" mode, and I did try 2.99---0.99 thing, nothing happened

I don't want to go free right now

if some one could help me on the description? your name will be in special thanks

we are working on the new update ,hope to bring something more.
also working on ipad version which will bring more vs stage

if anything I can do to make the game more fun, please tell me
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Making your game "more fun" will not increase your sales.

You already have what appears to be a very highly polished and fun game. If you can't make money with that, then you won't make money by adding more levels or additional gameplay elements.

What you are missing now is just promotion. Nobody knows about your game. What have you done so far to promote your game?
  • Press releases?
  • Forum posts?
  • Send emails to review sites?
  • Twitter messages?
  • Facebook page?
You need as many people as possible promoting your game now.

You might also consider approaching a publisher such as Chillingo or Freeverse.

Even though you said you don't want to, I would also reconsider the "go free" route. It can really be a great way to get your app seen by a lot of people in a short time. Click the link in my signature below for information.
06-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindJuice View Post
Making your game "more fun" will not increase

• Press releases?
  • Forum posts?
  • Send emails to review sites?
  • Twitter messages?
  • Facebook page?
  • Forum posts, yes, before and after the game launch.here in ta.also promo code give away
  • Send emails to review sites? yes, but no one responsed so far
    and good site I can turn to? please tell me,thanks
  • Twitter messages? yes, but till now, only 50+ followers,how could I make this number grow?
  • Facebook page? yes, you can chick from my signature
I still don't understand why go free will help the sales.

Last edited by kongzhong; 06-22-2010 at 12:18 AM.
06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Going free without promotion is suicide, don't do it. IMO, it's too early to consider going free. Give it a few more weeks and see if it gets picked up as a featured app.

Now, if you had a comprehensive marketing strategy that includes going free on or near launch, then fine. But I don't think that's the case here.

Example of going free:

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...ws.asp?c=20877
06-22-2010, 03:50 AM
maybe add some funny dialogs like short comics? look at Highborn, actually not really humorous, but people seems to like it. as a buyer i would say that game lack some presentation. and it was already mentioned that description is a little bit boring.